Trend Micro to withdraw from VB100 tests

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Oldjim, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I will have to whole heartedly agree with that statement.:thumb:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

When everone of the competition passes a test than the test itself does not differ you from the pack. A simple testimonial stating that you past VB100 or a VB100 plaquette passed is not a reason to buy or see one choices confirmed.

Some AV vendors state that they passed the VB100 test in the last few years, to show their consistent quality. Some new AV's want their product qualified by an institute. For the pack in the middle VB100 has no advantage.

Regards Kees

3. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

It's not an info for anyone aware about the dark side of av testing: Virus Bulletin and Sophos, Anti-malware test lab and Kaspersky (link one, two and three), and off course friendly relationships between IBK/AV-comparative and InspecteurClouseau/F-Prot are not a secret.
    But these ethical conclict does not affect the integrity and honesty of testers and test results, this might only affect the objectivity of their opinion.

For my concern, i consider that there's currently no fully indpendent av test organization .
    And VB100 or VB0 (create 100 malwares and run a scan, and you'll get an antimarketing certification:D ), av-comparative, AV-test and co: none has the answer...
    As suggested by Eugen Kaspersky, av testing is an unsolved equation.

Regards

4. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Source... ht tp://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/2008/04

Failure reason: 47 wildlist misses
    Result history: Doctor Web
    Product name: Doctor Web Dr.Web
    Details: Only available to subscribers

Lol if I failed that bad.. I would pull out also to save my self the embersment of bein a AV at all lol. test list or no test list its still amuseing to see. OLD new it dont matter as long as they are simi recent. virus is still a virus it still can be a hazard, Something that was the biggest thret 3 years ago could become so again if they dont have the Deff's to defend against it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2008
  5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

drweb don't have access to the same material that the others had, flawed test.

Any av that is not treated the same way, should not be tested.

Fact of the matter is, people read these so called test results and judge, so who is the fool?

I See, drweb cleaning many computers (more than any other) and I've yet to see a drweb computer with malware-troubles, where I would need to install Another AV to fix my computer, this is the case for most I read, especially here on wilders.

I also, see drweb thinking of their own technologys, creating new protection tools, and I also see so called high-scorers not thinking of anything new, just simply copying everyone else.

True? You don't think so?

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

This thread started with the subject "Trend Micro to withdraw from VB100 tests".

Let's not turn the thread into a comparison of how vendors conduct their business.

Virus Bulletin clearly states
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/index

I would add that most antivirus vendors provide adequate protection if users use common sense and don't totally rely on software for protection.

I would also add that the support vendors provide for their programs, is more important, in some cases, than any other aspect of the product.

7. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Spoken like a true zealot. I've cleaned hundreds of computers over the past 5 years and I have never encountered a customer using Dr.Web. The same can be said for most people posting HJT logs. It's not because Dr.Web is the greatest thing since sliced bread; it's because they have a small client base compared to other vendors.

On the topic of Trend Micro, I'm curious to see if they will withdrawal from AV-Comp and AV-test.

8. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

An opportune statement ;)

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

A monstrously humongous monolithic "IF". Duhhh... where can I buy some of this "common sense", Kimosabe?o_O :blink: :ouch: :gack:

10. kwismer

kwismer Registered Member

which materials would those be and why don't they have access to them?

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

If you need to buy some, then your already in trouble.;) :D

12. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Source.. ht tp://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/results?vendor=VE5

This is just a question becuse im curious.. so your telling me the Test has been flawed against Dr web from 2006 on o_O becuse thats the last time they passed the test ?

just a question.

as for trend pulling out I hope they dont.. or if they do Hope somoene can start a new way of testing AV's as the old way is quickly loseing its steam :doubt: it could also mean a big move in the AV world when it comes to tests. Im guessing only time will tell and we will just let this one play out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2008
  13. gery

gery Registered Member

i am here again to tell you that TREND is findig stuff but not cleaning anything.may be they have joined comodo av or something. got enough and uninstalled it .big name no value .

14. The Hammer

I'd be more interested in knowing if it's preventing stuff from getting on a system in the first place.

15. gery

gery Registered Member

i am worried about the fact that it gives a false sense of security while it is not. it is not protection if it only tells you that you are infected

16. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Yes I'd also be interested in detection and prevention rates. If a system is badly hosed, probably better to start over.

17. gery

gery Registered Member

there is something else.they have no costumer care for outside US.i can handle the weight on the system but not insecurity .i just dont buy this

18. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running TMIS 2008 and every test I could throw at it was taken care of just like it was supposed to be by TMIS. I have no complaints with it at all. But everyone to their own. ;)

19. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

If it tells you that you are infected, you probably dont have a sense of security :p.

While lack of customer support may be a concern, how does it relate to insecurity?

20. The Hammer

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

use the live chats,

they are always great, quick and free. :)

ive tried trends in the past, aswell as mcafee's and nortons, and all have been 10/10.

norton had the best live chat support in my opinion.

22. gery

gery Registered Member

trendy opinoin should go out of the bussines in my opinion. it is getting worse each year

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.