Trend Micro to withdraw from VB100 tests

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Oldjim, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gery

gery Registered Member

i had avg antivirus and PC TOOLS firewall installed and brawsing was terribly slow. Just today i installed TREND MICRO IS and it is far better no delays at all

2. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Re: Antivirus Vendors Gripe

Neither I do. I rather believe to my real-life experience.

3. gery

gery Registered Member

Correct. Personal experience is something that drives someone to judge

4. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

It slows my system more than any other IS product I have tested. I have a similar rig to yours.:thumbd:

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Trend Micro has my vote.
    VB100 is quite absurd as certification, just another tradition without imagination.
    The number "100" in connection with scanners ? Doesn't sound very realistic.

6. kwismer

kwismer Registered Member

the number '100' in connection with any certification is entirely appropriate... something doesn't get certified unless it meets 100% of the requirements for that certification...

the metric upon which VB100 is based isn't as relevant as it used to be, however...

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running TMIS 2008 now and it runs just as light as any AV I have run lately. Actually it is faster and less resource hungry than several I have tried in the last three months.

8. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

You're probably running current gen hardware w/ Vista, right? In any event it seems like a mixed bag with Trend AV/IS. I suppose that's why it's a good idea to try before you buy.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Doesn't make a difference to me. The test bed is incomplete as always and the ones that get a VB100 certificate are the LUCKY ones.
    All scanners are equal to me and what one doesn't detect, might be detected by another scanner. Users must be glad each time a scanner removes a malware on their system with or without VB100. :)

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Yep I do run Vista with good hardware:thumb:

11. gery

gery Registered Member

Now comes the trouble. I had a virus in a usb and the TREND could not heal it. It says that this may happen when the next update will be released. So I waited one day to update IS and nothing happens. Took the usb to my desktop and scanned it with AVAST not updated in two days and it cleaned it right away. Now i call this first experience and first impression. The rest is just fine, it is fast and light

12. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Well your test bed is 1 virus, which is only marginally smaller than the wildlist's 700 :p

13. gery

gery Registered Member

suppose it is one of the 700 . so there comes the bad luck.i might turn back to the previous though i will miss the other features of the suite

14. emperordarius

What kind of malware was it? o_O

15. gery

gery Registered Member

a sort of autorun virus i can not recall it and worm rjump

16. emperordarius

Do you mean that the autorun.inf file was infected? And there was a worm infection?

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

here is how it is Ron,

~removed un-needed fluff....Bubba~

vb uses the wildlist and a small sample-set of thier own, as im sure you know.

Drweb, does not have access to this list, so is currently at a disadvantage with the VB tests.

and of course, VB share the missed samples to the AV's.

but the wildlist, and real-world viruses dont match, and they used to.

im guessing this is a big factor in Trend Micro pulling out of the VB tests.

also, Drweb will 'probably' follow Trend Micro in the future......

~removed un-needed fluff....Bubba~

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2008
  18. kwismer

kwismer Registered Member

sorry, it's still not clear to me what drweb doesn't have access to... the wildlist? it's published online... i think names of the malware vb uses is also published somewhere (they used to be, can't find a link at the moment though)...

or on the other hand is the complaint that drweb doesn't have access to the wildcore? vb doesn't actually use the exact samples in the wildcore but rather offspring from them, so having access to the exact samples in the wildcore shouldn't benefit drweb or anyone else... since all participants are alerted to which publicly available version of the wildlist will be used in the test 2 weeks in advance, anyone with adequate connections in the research community should be able to get their own samples of those viruses (and anyone who doesn't have adequate connections would do well to work on building those relationships)...

the wildlist has always been an incomplete representation of what was in the wild... the gab between the approximation and reality has simply become wider due to the proliferation of non-replicative malware...

their representative admits that it's sour grapes...

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

its not always asy to understand the russians :)

they dont have access to a list anyway, a direct access link or something.

drweb say the wildlist DID used to represent something, but now... not so.

i think more and more companys will pull out, they are starting to realise how poor these tests are.

just look at VirusBuster, if you have tried it.. you know, it detects nothing, yet gets the VB100 award. o_O

20. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Can you please provide any info/link to support your statement?

As for original topic:
    Deja vu.

Same old story. If you are not performing well in tests... just attempt to discredit the testing methodology ;)

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

or maybe mac, the av's know of faulty testing, yet don't argue the case,

I mean, what's the point of you get awarded the certification?

22. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

yeah it could be Chris.

Still, it seems strange to me the way they are quitting from VB100.

23. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

From what I have heard and read: ASSUMPTION- it is easy to prepare for & pass the VB tests -- example- VirusBuster. ASSUMPTION- A goodly number of folks evidently regard VB tests as a good indicator of which AV to buy, whether for personal use or for business use. Whether or not I disagree with those folks is simply beside the point.

If those 2 assumptions have any validity whatsoever, then an AV company that withdraws from those tests is either stupid &/or arrogant &/or lazy.

Further - If I were searching for an AV that affords good protection I would definitely question the business acumen of an AV company that either (1) withdraws from VB, &/or (2) consistently fails VB other than for reasons of FPs (I looove FPs).

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well, how many people really looked for the VB cert, when purchasing their AV?

i havnt done it, with any of my AV's that ive bought and used in the past.

25. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The denizens of Wilders are FAR from being typical of the mass market of software buyers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.