Trend Micro Browser Guard & Micro Soft's Zozzle

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kees1958, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

There is a pdf on the working of Zozzle, reading this I might try Trend Micro Browser Guard. I contacted Trend, but they simply don't answer on questions like, is there a test page to check whether BG is working?, what is the overlap with EMET, how does it stand compared to Nozzle and Zozzle research projects of microsoft.

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/?id=141930

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  2. Newby

Newby Registered Member

Running Trend Micro Browser Guard, Bitdefender traffic light (only malware protetion on) with IE9 and Clearcloud DNS :D This should keep me away from risky places:D

3. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

4. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Are you sure about that?

Thanks.

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

WTH o_O

Sorry, not meant for you... rather to user Zombini at that thread. I can't reply there.

This is simply unrealistic. AVG LinkScanner has two components: Search-Shield and Surf-Shield. Search-Shield provides ratings, but does not scan real-time for malicious content (exploits, etc); Surf-Shield is the component that provides real-time protection against exploits, etc., at the moment that matters - when the user visits the URL.

That said, this part...

makes no sense... It doesn't make sense because LinkScanner won't block known/unknown malware (not directly, anyway). It will scan the URL for active malicious content like exploits. It doesn't matter if the ads (in the example given by Zombini) are different at a different time. If they're leading people to exploits, then LinkScanner Surf-Shield will act.

I just wanted to clarify that part, in case other users take those words for granted.

Sorry Kees1958. I just felt like I had to correct those statements.

Now, back on topic, I wonder if Zozzle and Nozzle will ever see day light? I do like the concept behind them. At least, after a quick reading.

6. Newby

Newby Registered Member

Yes, also the user helps a little by not searching for hardcore XXX sites or hacked software/free lisences, only on linked-in, no other social media.

Running CTM plus use the switch on/off of safe-admin
    a) do not allow to download executables (drive-by)
    b) do not allow unsigned programs to elevate

Only using Oracle Open Office, IE9, WMPlayer

7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

No worries

Reading the Zozzle part and having read some info of Browser Guard found through resume/CV of a Trend Micro employee (looking for a new job) or a freelance hired by Trend Micro placed on a social network, my guess is that BG contains at least the heuristics parts.

The Avast script engine does have heuristics like capabilities of Zozle, since it cleans code (make it default by stripping spaces, changes upper case to low, etc) and looks for blacklisted code patterns also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.