Trend Micro AntiVirus plus AntiSpyware 2009

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by maddawgz, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Any thought's on this? i been using it for few days like it alot, went from avg 7.5 its nice and light, what are there detection like? better than Avg or antivir?? thanks :D

only disappointing thing was took of spybot and spywareblaster,

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  2. gery

gery Registered Member

It is not light but it is effective in keeping the computer very safe.

3. maddawgz

Might try Antivir free :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. romance520

romance520 Registered Member

Really?
    In my mind,Trend Micro Anti Software are not the recommended anti-software in China...The bad detection rate...and the poor ability of repair...

5. gery

gery Registered Member

i have used both 2008-2009 TMIS and almost never had any infection coming thro,

6. gery

gery Registered Member

Wha you say is false negatives

7. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I have a one year license for TM 2009 + AS and after a brief fling with the application, quit using it.

First; I disagree that it's "light". The application is, in fact, seriously bloated. The installed program occupies about 500 mb of hard drive space and the resident scanner slows down my computer noticeably. Unacceptable !

Second; It's too proprietary. The requirement prior to installation that a user remove Spybot or Ad-Aware even if the resident scanner is not active or even installed is ridiculous and also unacceptable.

Third; The detection of Trend Micro Antivirus is definitely second-tier at best; various independent tests have proven this.

Fourth; The firewall is weak and offers less than optimal configuration options.

You can do much better using free applications such as Avast or Avira antivirus.
    The free firewall from Zone Alarm, Comodo, PC Tools, or Online Armor, among others.
    Malwarebytes and/or Superantispyware.
    Win Patrol or the new Prevx Edge for HIPS. (BTW; they work just fine together).

Sorry if this disappoints you, but these are my true feelings and are based on real world experience with the product.

8. romance520

romance520 Registered Member

That's what I want to say...It's the true...
    Trend OfficeScan7.X would be better than Trend Micro Anti-software,but OfficeScan 8.0 disappoints me so much...

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Trend Micro is alright - It has never been stellar IMO. A good thing is that their support is good and in case you ever get infected they are quick to help you with that (well, pretty good in adding undetected samples also). Apart from that, yes, it does occupy a lot of disk space but is quite easy to use. A decent product for those who like "no-nonsense" software :)

10. maddawgz

I went with Antivir free love it :argh:

11. rive0108

rive0108 Registered Member

Trend Micro is bottom of the barrel Antivirus/Antimlaware program and will at best provide subpar protection.

No Lab certification from either AV-Comparatives, or Virus Bulletin.
    There is only the west coast labs certification, which shows a missed Trojan, and ICSA (which doesn’t even test for polymorphic threats-i.e., self replicating/potentially catastrophic malware threats). AV-Comparatives is top notch, and is the best, followed closely by Virus Bulletin’s VB100. Trend Micro failed the last VB100, and has no recent entries at all with AV-Comparatives. It is usually a fair indicator that a Vendor’s product is subpar, when it is not entered into either AV-Comparatives, or the VB100, and/or consistently fails the VB100 whereas NOD32 and Symantec consistently pass year after year.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/44060/review/internet_security_pro_2009.html

“Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 Review
    Jan 22, 2009 by Erik Larkin, PC World
    Trend Micro's suite fails at the most basic task of detecting and blocking malicious software. Not recommended.

Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 ($70 for three users as of 12/24/08 ) fails badly at any security suite's most important task: Identifying malware before it can attack your PC. In tests for "Paying for Protection," our 2009 roundup of nine security suites, Trend Micro's newest offering didn't just come in last place in that crucial category--its dismal 69.3 percent detection rate was a full 20 percentage points behind the next worst competitor. In AV-Test.org's tests, which put each suite up against a huge array of bots, password stealers, and other malware, top performers tagged about 99 percent of the 654,914 samples--but Trend Micro's package let three out of every ten pieces of malicious software go by untouched. That just doesn't cut it for security software.
    Trend Micro likewise fell flat in heuristic tests using two-week-old signature files to simulate dealing with unknown threats, and at catching annoying adware. It was dead last in both categories.
    The company says that it emphasizes proactive protection that attempts to block threats before they can try installing malware (and before the suite would have to recognize it). Trend Micro uses its own Web crawlers, download tests, and user reports to maintain a database of malicious Web sites, and will block those sites from loading on your PC. It's a valid approach--one that could well supplement scanning for malware on your PC--but it can't yet replace that core detection task.
    Trend Micro's package did shine when tasked with cleaning up an existing infection. It removed all the files from nine out of ten malware infections, a performance that only BitDefender matched. It was almost as good in dealing with Registry changes, placing second in that test.
    The suite offers a few interesting features, such as a scan for missing Windows patches that assigns a risk level for each one. You'll also get a useful Wi-Fi advisor button in a browser toolbar that can warn you if your wireless network lacks encryption--a smart tool placed in a good location.
    Trend Micro also did well with its user interface, and clearly took time to provide good descriptions for features and options. Right away we noticed the use of plain English throughout the program.
    But the company went too far with its desire to simplify, as we saw no pop-ups or warnings when it blocked our attempted Zango-adware download. We had to dig into the program logs to find out what was going on. It's good to help people make informed decisions to protect their computer, but it's also important to at least give users an idea that something we just tried to do was potentially harmful. Without an alert, a user might think that their browser simply had a problem, and they might then try installing the dangerous software through another browser--or even worse, on another PC. You can change the default setting to display warnings when your PC encounters viruses or spyware, but you shouldn't have to.
    Trend Micro's suite has some good points, but there's no getting around the fact that Internet Security Pro 2009 fails at detecting malicious software, and therefore fails as a security program. We cannot recommend buying it.”

12. vizhip

vizhip Registered Member

I still see some pieces left over of Trend at the company I am currently contracting with... but from what I have seen, they are removing it and going with something to protect them better...

Personally I don't have any experience with Trend, but from heresay, have not heard a lot of good about it...

Regards -
    -Bob

13. Haloan

Haloan Registered Member

Hi,

I am trying the trial version of Trend Micro 2009 Internet Security since I was happy with the 2006 version. I had been using 2006 because at the time it was considered less resource intensive than Norton (Symantec) or Macafee.

The thing I like about this one is that unlike some others, it will allow me to specify directories to ignore if I have stuff in there that I know is ok but it thinks is bad. A giant nusiance with other programs to keep telling them no dont quarantine that one all the time!

I had wanted to just use it for Antivirus and then use something like Comodo or Online Armor as the firewall. What I have found however is they seem to conflict. For example when I run TM and Comodo free, Comodo hangs up and then fails to load. With OA it seems to win the battle and stay but then some TM processes end up not running. I used to use Zonealarm free and it did not conflict with TM2009 but then again its not as good as Comodo or OA! This is ridiculous!!!

TM2009 got a good review in PC magazine but Consumersearch shows ESET and Norton to be the top ones along with AVG free. I tried ESET but it doesnt let me tell it to ignore specific directories. I haven't tried Norton yet. What do you think and have other people run into these conflicts and found a way to resolve them?! Thanks for any help and advice!

14. GreenEyesLucy

GreenEyesLucy Registered Member

What have you used?Trend Micro Antivirus or Trend Micro Internet Security 2009? Are you sure it's safely for your computer more than others products?

15. GreenEyesLucy

GreenEyesLucy Registered Member

I have used Trend Micro for a while but I wasn't quite satisfied on this product. It doesn't have a Gamer mode module in order to protect you while you're playing games. Also at Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 I haven't discovered any other important modules such as: Laptop mode, Vulnerability scan, Local backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.