Trend 2015 arrives tonight. Take a look.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mayahana, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Gein

Gein Registered Member

I'm not sure about the extensions as I never have time to see what they are. One of them I was able to click in time and it was an RTF file. Other than that, I cant find any references to files that it's detecting in the log files. But I'm not really sure where to look. The detected threats section shows no reference to the files. I'm not even certain if it's Trend that's doing it, but I haven't seen Thunderbird do this before with text files like that.

2. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Check quarantine, if trend is doing it - it will be there.

3. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Does anyone know if Trend Micro 2015 is using the same architecture from Worry-Free Business Security Standard?

Trend 2015 seems great, they just need to optimize its impact on system performance and it will be almost "perfect".

4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Worry Free Business currently uses older technology (SPT, etc). The update/development cycle on the enterprise software is behind desktop. Anyone that has deployed under commercial conditions knows why this is the case, it has to be much longer, you don't want to break 'stuff'. Especially considering we have companies with 9,000 licenses operational. Imagine the mess? Right now Trend 2015 uses technology that encompasses the consumer, enterprise, and gateway architecture. Worry Free will catch up, but it won't be for another year or so. If you run an enterprise Trend server, you can toggle on 'additional' databases, which encompass a vast array of PUA/PUP detections - and this has been improved quite a lot in recent months.

We've seen 100% (or virtually 100%) protection by combining Fortigate NGFW Appliances on the gateway, backed up with TES w/deployed endpoints, and enhanced database options enabled. I consider this combination one of the most potent a business can employ - personal opinion based on some metrics we gather as you leverage the very powerful strengths of each solution.

IMO Trend 2015 (Consumer) needs another development cycle to marinade. Quite a lot went into the latest behind the scenes, and some bugs exist. It's extremely good protection - however. I think Trend 2016 will be the one to migrate to as by then the cycle of development will progress to iron out any remaining issues in Trend. Although most people should find 2015 to offer amazing protection. Also as more ASUS router deploy the fingerprint/acquisition will become more detailed, which all product will take advantage of.

5. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I fully agree.

6. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

When I tested the latest 2015 version......

a) the Trial download took ages to finish, was downloading @ 100 KB/S on my 50 MBPS connection......

b) As soon as I installed it I noticed issues when right clicking any item on my desktop so I quickly uninstalled it......

left a bad first impression for me

even the updates took ages to finish I didn't even bother waiting...

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I was remembering that we do have an issue with the password manager. The plugin for Firefox locks it up. We use LastPass anyway.

8. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

That's why it ran like crap.. It was still updating in the background. How can you expect to evaluate a product if you don't install it, let it update, reboot, and allow the application to run it's initial scan, and 'settle' itself down? A bit hasty here.. Almost all AV's require this, Eset for example uses a similar process, and runs a 'first scan'.. So examining system impact while it's updating, and not waiting is almost entirely pointless, and makes you look overly impatient. Trend does take time to setup and actualize on your machine, but this is merely the initial push, which you will never have happen again.

A lot of people here claim Forticlient 5.2x is 'heavy' when testing houses report it's one of the lightest. The disconnect is - first install, initial updates, initial scan, then a caching mechanism for system use. I'd bet 99% of people complaining uninstall it before it even completes all of these processes.

Patience can be important.

9. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Makes sense, thanks for drawing my attention to that. I wasn't patient enough as the initial download of the AV itself was @ 100KB/S as I mentioned so that caused the initial bad impression then after installation the system lag and I wasn't patient made me uninstall it. Won't be hast in the future anymore after reading your post.

Fortunately, I have now found my AV thanks to you and I am more than happy.

10. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I do agree - throttling of downloads for the initial install, and updates - angers me.. A lot of companies seem to like doing this. No question that it's super annoying!

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I wonder why this is done? I've noticed after installing NIS2014/N360-2014 that there's often a large update that crawls. Kaspersky and McAfee are also terribly slow to update IME. For a security product that seems like a serious weakness. As products move more completely to the cloud this issue will eventually go away, but it will take a while.

12. snippits

snippits Registered Member

"The Trend Community is currently undergoing some BIG changes in the coming weeks!"

Forums been down for months now.

13. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Kaspersky once took 3 hours to update for me.. On a 60Mbps connection. It does infuriate me, and unfortunately I do not have any answers on this.

14. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Yes Kaspersky is slow as well. As much as I dislike NOD32 for being heavy, it's the fastest to download updates, no throttling at all.

These are old instructions don't know if they still work to speed up Kaspersky's update:

Just change the update servers to one of the following from their update servers and experiment which ones works best for your region. Don't forget, after adding the update server, move it up to the top by clicking on the Move Up Button

List of Kaspersky Update Servers: http://support.kaspersky.com/6105

I found http://dnl-11.geo.kaspersky.com/ to be the fastest server for me.

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc428/berryracer/KasperskyUpdateServers.png

15. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Yes Kaspersky is slow as well. As much as I dislike NOD32 for being heavy, it's the fastest to download updates, no throttling at all.

These are old instructions don't know if they still work to speed up Kaspersky's update:

Just change the update servers to one of the following from their update servers and experiment which ones works best for your region. Don't forget, after adding the update server, move it up to the top by clicking on the Move Up Button

List of Kaspersky Update Servers: http://support.kaspersky.com/6105

I found http://dnl-11.geo.kaspersky.com/ to be the fastest server for me.

KasperskyUpdateServers.png

16. simmersK00L

simmersK00L Registered Member

I installed trend internet security 2015 on wife's brand new ultrabook solid state win8.1, and after I got past win updates, trend settled-in aok and I agree with the above "nearly perfect." My first time using trend. also running mbae and voodooshield and they seem to be playing well together. I'm very happy so far, and wife loves ultrabook too. I'm the local hero for a day.

17. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I've had remarkable success installing Trend in fire-forget situations. It's on my top-5 deployable solution lists. But I anxiously await the improvements coming in 2016 version, along with a few little fixes I would like to see in it. Otherwise, I like it quite a lot, and if I didn't have Trend on my router, it would be on my desktops.

18. darts

darts Registered Member

I hope they will do something about the performance , it is a bit heavy on the system.

19. Nightwalker

Version 2015 isnt that heavy if you do a full scan or let it cache files,
    I think version 2016 will be a lot better in this aspect ...

20. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

This is correct.

Install Trend 2015. Let it marinade for a good bit, many things happen in the background for the first hour or so of installation. Once you let it marinade, run a full scan of the system, then reboot. You will find it MUCH lighter after going through this, and it's a one-time-thing really.

But I agree - 2016 release should be pretty interesting. I'll post updates once the beta launches.

21. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Some settings I recommend - this will have Trend detect PUA/PUP to a high degree.

Also it enables enhanced website inspection/fingerprint analysis.

Attached Files:

22. Nightwalker

But what about false positives and system performance?

23. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

There should be no slowdowns, and very little to no FP's. Try it, and see.

24. natZONE

natZONE Registered Member

Does anybody know whether or not Trend Micro can be installed on BlackBerry OS 10?

25. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

No and there are no viruses on blackberry QNX OSs, it is the most secure mobile OS

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.