Trend 2015 arrives tonight. Take a look.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mayahana, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Note that anything in quarantine is compressed, then encrypted. Nothing is going to get it, and if it did get it, it's not going to be able to do anything with it. But I agree - too bad there aren't more options.

2. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

This is really becoming irritating software. It blocked the installation of Windows Firewall Control 4.1.6.0. There were a couple of notifications showing suspicious which I allowed. Then there was a file that was blocked which I allowed but must have remain blocked. Also, the setting to hide system protected files had been changed to show system protected files. After selecting to allow everything that had to do with this install WFC would still not run. I had to enable WFC service which had been disabled. I restarted the computer and the service was disabled again. I then went into Trend's file log and restored WFC. I thought this had been done the first time the notification showed. The log doesn't show whether a file has been restored or not. Again, I went back into services and enabled WFC. Restarted and things seem to be ok.

How could the average Joe install WFC with this poorly implemented exclusion process? The exclusion is in there twice so I suppose somehow it did not get entered properly the first time.

This is the dumbest program I have ever used in dealing with exclusions and files in quarantine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

TM is a great AV but slows down my 'old' laptop a lot. What a shame :(

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

this is exactly what i thought when i tested it. and basically some of the same issues i had with it especially the quarantine things.

5. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

It looks like some people are not going to change to using TM..lmao

6. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Not every product is for every person. If that were the case there would only be one brand of beer.

Trend will continue to score amazing (if not the highest as it has been) in upcoming tests, and continue to improve as a program, this is the first release of the next generation package. I wouldn't expect much in the way of tweaking, or techie type of stuff, that's not the target audience. Trend 2015 is designed to be put on a machine and you can walk away and be virtually guaranteed it's not infected when you come back to it. Perfect for the kids, the parents, grandma, a business, etc.

7. zfactor

this is just me being curious but you always rave about trend, wondering why you are using other av's and not trend? again im genuinely curious and not at all trying to be rude or anything

8. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Thanks to this post, I was about to purchase a license but now won't!

Cheers my friend, you saved my money from a resource hog with no disabling of auto delete!

9. fax

fax Registered Member

I am afraid wilderssecurity audience is not really the target audience (i.e. majority of end users out there) for this product. So I am not surprised of these comments. This is one of the best "set and forget" security tool on the market, ideal for novice users. Also the Suite feels very light on my old system. So, no hog at all here ;)

10. Houley456

Houley456 Registered Member

SuperAntiSpyware works fine along with Trend Micro....in fact, I am using Trend Micro, WebRoot Secure Anywhere, Voodoo Shield, SAS(demand only)...with Win 7....no issues so far....

11. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Agreed. We install it on thousands of machines a month without issue. But that's the target audience for it. That's how it is designed.

12. Macstorm

Lucky you!

13. fax

fax Registered Member

Well, to be more specific a DELL dimension 9200. It was an high end product ....10 years ago. LoL

14. Macstorm

Software runs better on desktop machines, after all...

15. zfactor

not at all in many cases.. desktop vs laptop overall has zero difference on how software will run. the difference comes in where many desktops are simply more powerful then a laptop but today this is not many cases. many laptops run i5 or i7 chips with 8-16gb of ram etc and are much faster than many desktops out there that use celeron or newer pentium or i3 etc...

16. fax

fax Registered Member

:thumb: Yeap.

17. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I can't let this statement go unchecked.. It is rare for a laptop to outperform a desktop (even a slightly older desktop) but with comparable hardware the desktop will always win, and this is because of many reasons. But comparing identical (per form factor) hardware, the desktop will always outperform the laptop/notebook. For example the 780m chips vs 780gtx, the 780gtx has a considerable performance advantage. Temperatures. Desktops run a lot cooler. i7's are notoriously hot, sometimes so hot they cook desks. Temps are the enemy of durability/reliability and in many cases performance. Laptops use scaled down architecure. MSata, M/G versions of graphic cards, all of these come with a price, and usually that price is reduced performance. A lot of laptops use hybrid systems, such as a small 24GB SSD w/Active Caching of a slow 5400RPM HD. Again - at a compromise. Then of course we can talk about memory density, and the version of i7 for notebooks vs desktops..

Don't get me wrong, I love the portability of notebooks. I own 8 notebooks, including a couple if i7 ones. But the desktops, even with older CPU's still outperform them - handily.

Good article here;
    http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2013/05/25/don-t-be-fooled-by-laptop-cpus/
    As you can see, in our image editing test, even the Core i3-3220 - a £90 desktop CPU, is faster than the Core i7-3610QM, with the likes of the Core i5-3570K comfortably outperforming it, even at their stock speeds. It was a similar story in our multi-tasking tests and only in the video encoding test was the Core i7 laptop CPU faster than the Core i3, but even there, the desktop Core i5-3570K was in a different league.

18. Macstorm

Not in my case, both laptop and custom-built desktop pc with Win 8.1, the same old dual-core proc. and equal amount of ram 2gb, no video cards inside. All programs in my sig below run much faster on my desktops. Even 8.1's Windows Defender. TrendMicro AV eventually gone unbearable on my laptop which is a shame because I wanted to keep it. Tested.

19. zfactor

hmm interesting id love to know full specs.

20. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Notebook processors are always clocked slower (or have less cores) that the desktop equivalent. For instance a lot of times Core i5 notebook processors are dual core, when the desktop i5s are always 4 core. I always find desktops faster to use. Anyway, off topic.

21. Macstorm

My desktop board is D945GCL with 2.6ghz Intel Pentium D proc. and a Sony laptop VGN-NR110E (Vista from factory) with Intel Pentium Dual cpu T2310 @ 1.46ghz, 1.47ghz. Both from 2007, Win 8.1 Pro 32-bit and 2gb ram (1gb added to laptop).

22. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

My Alienware laptop would make any desktop cry and beg for mercy, go figure, Dual Crossfire AMD Radeon R9 M290X GPUs, Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD (OS Drive) + two 1 TB 840 EVO SSDs (DATA Storage) + 32 GB RAM @ 1866 MHz. + i7 4810MQ @ 3.8 GHz:

Alienware 18 | i7 4810MQ @ 3.8 GHz | Dual Radeon R9 M290X Crossfire | 32 GB Kingston HyperX 1866 MHz RAM
    Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD + Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD + Samsung 840 EVO 1TB mSATA SSD | Windows 7 Professional

http://i.imgur.com/pNMK32C.png

23. zfactor

imo no way a base model (or older model) pentium dual core or celeron (or old first gen i3) desktop will outperform a new gen i7 laptop cpu. my point was a *capable* laptop with any of the newest gen i3-i7 will not (or should not) be slowed down *that* much from a program like an av. now when you get into say autocad or heavy photoshop, video etc then you might see a reasonable difference. but in every day use is what i was reff. to with a good cpu, lots of ram and a good gpu in a laptop (not a celeron or pentium notebook cpu) you will be hard pressed to find much difference and in some cases a notebook with a high end gpu and a good amount of ram can outperform a desktop with a low end cpu and on board gpu. my notebook currently i use at home runs anything i throw at it including any game out there and runs rings around many desktops and yes tested in banchmarks.

i will have to disagree with you mayahana i have seen MANY times where a top end laptop will outperform a lower end desktop especially when the laptop has a very high end gpu or dual gpu setup and the desktop uses onboard graphics.

24. zfactor

agreed 100%. my laptop (clevo/sager custom build that i build here from a whitebook) cant get much higher end if at all. its literally maxed spec wise i can not add anything else to it at all. it runs literally anything i can dish out. i do however agree my laptop cant touch my desktop. my watercooled desktop will kill it but again thats because of whats in it. my laptop will smoke the majority of desktop systems out there especially ones that are not high end.

25. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Indeed, what I must say here, is other than the wrong opinions on today's laptops which have advanced so much in specs to minimize the difference in performance between a laptop and a desktop are long gone. Obviously if you custom build a desktop like you did, it will be better than a laptop. But speaking about desktops in general, heck, I feel like I am using a turtle when I touch any desktop of a friend or at work, my laptop would run circles around them. So IMHO, the debate of Laptop vs desktop is not true saying that any desktop even an older one would be faster than a laptop, depends WHICH laptop! Not an Alienware or a Sager or MSI or ASUS (Gaming laptops)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.