Trend 2015 arrives tonight. Take a look.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mayahana, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I believe keys dating back to 2012 version will work on 2015. In the rare even it doesn't, contact support.

2. TW_John

TW_John Registered Member

Anyone else have any problem ordering from Trend's online store? It just won't let me, telling me each time that there's an error with my payment info. There's not. I've contacted them, but have not heard back as of yet. 2 years for IS @ $59 is not something I want to miss out on.

3. snippits

snippits Registered Member

QVC is still selling the life time license for 6 users for the antivirus and maximum security. I think the life time activation is just limited to the life of the device it is activated on. If one had say two or three computers, then six activates would last a long time when the old computers are recycled for new.

http://www.qvc.com/Trend-Micro-Anti-Virus-2014-Lifetime-of-(6)-PC-Devices.product.E226295.html

http://www.qvc.com/Trend-Micro-Lifetime-Maximum-Security-2014-for-(6)-Devices.product.E226064.html

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  4. TW_John

Seems like a good deal, but my question here is, how does Trend determine licenses? If I reformat and reinstall, does that take up another license slot?

5. snippits

snippits Registered Member

I think each activation will be tied to a machine identification which will be the same even if the disk is formatted. Say if a hard drive or motherboard is replaced I think that changes the machine identification, but you would have to ask Trend how they handle that because it's still the same machine basically.

6. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I don't know how the machine ID is drawn, usually a combination of hard drive serial, and/or CPU identifiers. So usually you are safe unless you replace the HD AND CPU, in that case it's likely to register as a new machine. So don't buy this and install it if you are planning major upgrades in the next few years. This is ideal on a recently purchased, powerful PC, or an old legacy one you won't be changing. But anything in flux is probably not wise. Right now most of my machines are 4-Core with slower SSD's, so within a year or two I will likely take most of them to 6 or 8 core machines, with faster SSD's. So in that case I wouldn't benefit from such a license.

For Laptops/Notebooks its great, they rarely change drives/cpus.

7. TW_John

The most I think I'll change on this PC, and plan to, is the graphics card. The 120GB SSD is still serving me well with just having Windows, and programs on a separate 1TB drive.

8. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

Great program, but I see your budgets are much higher than mine. I have the money, but for what you are paying for 2 years of Trend, I have 5 years of Avira on 3 PC and 11 years of Webroot (total).

9. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Just came across a deleted item (say, it's actually a spyware) within a zip file after a full scan but I can't seem to find the 'Restore' option for that item, the only info is: Threat Name, Infected File, Response (Removed) and Detected By: Manual Scan.

Can you help me with this?

10. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Go to detected threats, then 'See More', then there will be a small restore button.

11. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

What about delete? There is no delete option. Are these stuck in quarantine for one year?

Attached Files:

12. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Also, what does, "Automatically delete files that show any signs of threats", and "Automatically delete joke threats" do? I have these unchecked and things still move to quarantine. I suppose this means that it will delete the file with no chance of recovery?

Attached Files:

13. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Delete threats - Gets rid of any file that might cause trouble. This aggressive response could remove some harmless files along with the unsafe ones, so consider using this protection only when receiving files or installing programs that seem risky.

Delete Jokes - Gets rid of joke programs that are considered relatively harmless but are often annoying, or may cause unnecessary panic.

The second one merely activates a signature database for harmless stuff, like programs that flash your screen, or change your mouse pointer.. I keep that on because who wants that crap on their system?

14. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

What is supposed to happen when these are unchecked? For me, things are still moved to quarantine and when I try to delete them from quarantine, there is no option... just restore option.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  15. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Have any of you taken a look at the 'Root Cause Analysis' that's in Trend?

Attached Files:

16. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

I have seen this but why are you showing this?

Let me re-ask:
    1. If you uncheck, "Automatically delete files that show any signs of threats", why does it still send the file to quarantine? Doesn't unchecking this mean to not automatically send the file to quarantine? Is there no notification that asks what to do with this file?

2. Once a file is moved to quarantine where is the option to delete it?

17. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I do not believe there is a way to manually delete quarantined files. They automatically delete after 1 year.

18. Macstorm

Where is 'detected threats'? I can't seem to find such option:

tm.JPG

The same when I select the 'last scan' detection list (cookies included). No 'restore' button.

19. Macstorm

Any ideas, Mayahana?

20. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Tick the right hash to open up the next menu to restore.

21. Macstorm

From my screenshot above, clicking on the > symbol just hides the 'Detail' info, what am I doing wrong?

22. Macstorm

There's no such 'Restore' thing whatsoever. Last call before removing TM, this AV is too much for my poor laptop that's getting slow.

23. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

No clue on that one, you can open a ticket with Trend if you want. They usually respond in an hour or two. It may have been removed in a recent patch for confirmed threats.

24. Macstorm

Thanks Mayahana.

That makes sense then, at least if that's the way TM works for confirmed threats :doubt:

25. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

I just purchased a 1 user/1 year subscription for $14.95 and I really like the new Trend!

I ran about 30 links and all 30 were blocked. One thing I don't like is, as mentioned before, there is no Prompt for Action. Also, it is important to be able to delete the files in quarantine and not leave the bad stuff sit there for 365 days. The cache works very nice, the gui is nice, it doesn't slow down my computer, etc. Nicely done.

Also, it's incorrectly reporting that the Social Network Protection is not installed in Chrome. I assume it's because of the new version of Chrome.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.