Trend 2015 arrives tonight. Take a look.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mayahana, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

After trying Trend Micro Antivirus+ for 3 days, here are my impressions:

Positives:

- Very light on the system, one of the lightest AV's i've tried. (provided you install, update it, then do a full system scan)
    - Great detection rate for both viruses and HTTP scanning that doesn't slow your browsing or downloading experience like some AVs (hint: ESET)
    - No system quirks, as in, while using it, it didn't interfere in my workflow or stop any programs from working properly like some AVs (hint: Kaspersky)

Negatives:

- No support forum and their support by email is very slow to respond (took them 3 business days to respond to a question I sent via email about how to increase the amount of users on my license)
    - The online technical live chat support is an absolute joke, I had reason to contact them to explain that after installing the Trend Toolbar, my Firefox became sluggish when opening many tabs (10+ tabs or so), the tech support agent first told me to reinstall Trend Micro, wow! what an intelligent suggestion! I then explained that this is a brand new installation of Windows and I already installed the latest version right away so I am not going to do that! then he says let me check my resources and keeps me waiting for 5 mins where I lost hope and left the chat and fixed the problem on my own.
    - License not flexible like other AVs, if you buy a 1 user license, you're stuck with it, they are not able to upgrade ou to 3 or 5 users if you need
    - If a false positive was caught and deleted, it takes a bit of digging around to find where is the quarantine to restore it back. Once you restore it back, it automatically adds it to the exceptions list but that functionality is buggy, it sometimes work and sometimes you have to repeat the process twice until it actually goes to the exceptions list.
    - Got 2 false positives, not a big deal, but still worth mentioning (1 was for a windows 8 product key viewer and the other one was for Windows 7 SLIC OEM activation called Windows Loader]
    - The interface looks nice, but the animations are jerky in motion and lack quality even on my Alienware 18 laptop with Dual GeFroce GTX 780M SLI + 32 GB of RAM + i7 CPU @ 4GHz

Verdict: Although there are more negatives than the positives, the negatives are not a show stopper and the positives mentioned to me are the most important which are being light and no system quirks, everything else can be fixed or is bearable like the adding to exceptions bug after an FP has been caught, not a show stopper.

Keeping this one as my main AV and am very happy finally.

PS: Thanks Mayhana for urging me to try Trend Micro FTW

2. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

I'm also using the AV+ version on WIN 8.1 32 bit and the only quirks (long known but not fixed - present in the threads of the old Trend forum) are - upon detection and cleaning it resets the start page of IE to a blank one, reverts the Windows update to the default state and shows the hidden operation system files (on desktop etc.) on reboot. Anyway not such a big deal. At least corrected the awful delay and ping of over 400 ms of the old versions.

3. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I've fully migrated the house to Trend 2015, and moved my Norton 2015's to our Android phones. I really like Norton's Mobile Product, so it's a good use for that license. I like them both almost equally, but believe Trend offers superior HTTP/HTTPS scanning, and superior at raw malware, but slightly less with PUA/PUP's. Unchecky will likely make up the gap with PUPs.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

if trend would give us a option on detection i think it would become my primary recc av. its fine for some people not to have the option but many want it there.

5. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

The slowdown that I was experiencing earlier in this topic seems to have been the combination of Trend and Windows Firewall Control 4. WFC4 now appears to be whitelisted and things are running great now.

6. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

If anyone sees any detection regarding botnet detection or IDS, will you please post an image here? I would like to see the firewall booster in action.

See attachment.

Attached Files:

7. Gein

Gein Registered Member

How does trend micro manage chrome protection? In firefox they install two extensions, but in chrome I'm not seeing the extensions at all.

8. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

9. Gein

Gein Registered Member

There's no browser exploit prevention extension for chrome? Does that stuff still work using this browser?

10. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

It's all in the product itself. The toolbar is handy for showing bad links and so forth but that's about it. Now it's not depending on toolbar, so they don't even care if you use it.

11. Gein

Gein Registered Member

Weird. Why do they even bother with the two firefox extensions then? I don't really use the toolbar, just the BEP and the other one.

12. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I assume one is the URL Checker, the other is the Password Agent.

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the slowdown is there, but not so much as a killer based on the great detection rates. I rank it about with Eset on heaviness. Trend has shed a lot of fat over the last 4 years and deserves the blessings they are now getting.

14. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

You shouldn't notice any slowdown, even on old laptops if you fully scan, reboot, and then let it marinade. Even on my wife's old, slow, dual core laptop it's very light.

15. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

How is it compared to Norton Security? Is it lighter after fully scan and reboot?

16. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

I have used both extensively, it's a very tough call as both are the lightest amongst many other AVs and come on top. If I had to choose on though, it would be Trend Micro.

With Norton Security, if you don't install the Norton Toolbar you get no protection on the web as it is dependent on the extention but with Trend Micro AV the toolbar is just there to be able to scan links and highlight them if they're safe or not but it will still block bad links regardless if the extension is installed or not.

Based on heaviness, I would pick Trend Micro although you can't go wrong with both.

I just hate Norton Security's interface so much as they throw all type of rubbish in your face in the main GUI that you may not even care about or want to ever see like Identity Safe (which is the worst password and unreliable password manager i've ever tried), Parental Controls, Cloud Storage Backup, I don't know, just didn't like it at all. Trend's GUI is very simple and nice looking although they need to improve on the jerky GUI animations

17. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

are you kidding? in heaviness? I rank Trend Micro AV in the whereabouts of Panda AV Pro in *lightness* not heaviness. It is not even close to the heaviness of Eset, not one bit. This coming from a user who owns a license for every AV you could imagine and I am not biased towards any.

PS: F-Secure was also one of the lightest AV's I've used although some may disagree but I liked it. I just stopped using it due to their forum that is dead and has only 1 poor user trying to help people there. A product with bad customer service will not exist in my collection but F-Secure is an awesome product if they could get their customer service act together. Their responses to emails take 5 to 7 working days

18. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Norton doesn't need the toolbar to be effective, but the toolbar allegedly boosts effectiveness. Also, Norton is browser dependent though, which means it only works on IE, Chrome, and Firefox, and no derivatives of them. Trend works regardless of toolbars or browsers. Trend hired a quite well known graphic artist who spent considerable time making what many feel is the best AV interface in the world. Read about that here, and why he did what he did..

https://www.behance.net/gallery/13931361/Trend-Micro-Internet-Security-2015-UI-Design

His portfolio;
    https://www.behance.net/holmanworks/collections

Trend hiring this guy paid off I think. Most AV's are getting more UGLY trying to go for the flat Win8x look, Trend took a different, modern, pleasing direction.

19. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

I don't know about that as I was reading on the Norton forums, one guy did mention that yes without the Norton Toolbar it won't detect browser exploits. I even linked it back then in some post but now I can't be bothered to search for it :)

About the interface, it is actually very pleasing to look at, but the animations are not smooth especially with the hardware I have, seems like it needs a bit of work just to up the smoothness :) but nonetheless it is one of the best looking GUIs

20. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Thank you for this info - it is very interesting!

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I agree and for reality purposes you cant judge heaviness on a reboot and a couple of days. You need to give a product a couple of weeks to cycle through all the tasks scheduled by user and Windows. I have seen some that started out heavy get lighter in a month and some that started out light just to dump them in a month. F-Secures latest version has really proven me wrong from their past ones. Trend is doing everything right and needs to proceed with just a bit of caution.

22. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

That is not true for my old Intel dual-core laptop with 2gb ram. I even gave TM (AV only) a second chance days ago. My major complaint is that clicking on links, within email messages for example, takes "ages" to react and even new opened tabs on IE 11 strangely try to open recently browsed sites at first attempt. Note that I never run anything else along an AV, I mean no extra security apps of any kind, just plain Win 8.1 and an AV. I'd love TM was more easy on my system. I'm happy for others who are using it without any issues though...

23. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Very strange. I haven't heard this, Trend is rated as one of the lightest these days.

24. waters

waters Registered Member

By far the heaviest antivirus i have used. I have tried installing twice to give it another go and still cant believe how heavy it was.

25. sol_ceho

sol_ceho Registered Member

Hello guys, i want to ask if you experionce something like this...TM is using CPU all the time, it never sits quietly on 0% like other AV's.Link: http://s17.postimg.org/b5x82097z/image.jpg

But altogether it's really light, even my GF noticed how my PC is fast, and she never noticed something like that even with ESET, Kis and manny others that i tryed. Somehow i always come back to TM, and i'm really happy with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.