TrashReg ??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Longboard, Sep 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I have installed and trialled several "cripple ware" utilities over the past couple of years and realise I now have several registry entries related to expiry conditions.

I haven't been using TU or inctrl enough: stupid me :oops:
    Have been using FDISR and IFW since recently :)

I am not even sure if those apps (TU & Inctrl) will clean those reg entries?

I have found this utility; Registry Trash Keys Finder:
    http://www.databack4u.com/snc/rtkf_eng.html

This claims to be able to ferret out obsolete "limiting" keys.

I am NOT interested in cracking any utilities.

Any one have any experience of this app and the difference between the free version and the unlocked version: safe? effective?

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I tried it, with mixed results. Sometimes it was effective, other times not. Even on very old systems with very old and scarred registry, it did not find too many keys - maybe only 8-10.
    Mrk

3. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Registry Trash Keys Finder - trustfull, legal?

Sorry just found other threads at Wilders. Mods: please murge

Seraching for new updated plugins and addons for Total-Commander i came across 'Registry Trash Keys Finder'. The programer is writing a usefull and very well known addon for Total Commander called 'Tweak Total Commander'. So i looked at his other projects and found it.

There are some passages on his homepage which, let's say, gets me thinking a bit, like removing protected registry entries made by shareware, regarding time limitations (ASProtect), etc. Does anybody uses this soft, experiences, and most important is it legal removing those protections?

Registry Trash Key Finde Homepage

4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Re: Registry Trash Keys Finder - trustfull, legal?

Legal - depends on the laws in your country, but is more likely to be a licence violation, which is the UK is only a civil issue, in the US, DCMA might kick in...

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Violating a properly written/notified license would definitely be illegal. In my totally amateurish opinion, removing *protected registry entries* would not be illegal unless the license contained a very clear & specific requirement that doing so would render the license null & void.

By the way, many uninstaller programs will neither record not remove such registry entries.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

really? so uninstaller programs do not fulfill their purpose 100% then.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't trust them completely either.

For uninstalling new softwares, I use a test snapshot of FirstDefense-ISR.
    FDISR is a 100%-uninstaller, because you simply remove the complete snapshot OR you refresh the test-snapshot with a rollback snapshot, which is the fastest method.
    There are lots of users, who like to try stuff from the internet and once they have seen it, they want to get rid of it. FDISR is the ideal tool to try stuff and get rid of it completely and immediately.
    You can't do this, when you have only one harddisk [C:] with everything on it (and most pc's are like that), because these new softwares can screw up your system. The only way out is a restoration of a backup file, but that will take much longer, than just a reboot with FDISR.
    I try and ditch alot more softwares, than approving and installing softwares for good and that was ONE of the reasons, why I bought FDISR.
    I've read enough posts in 2 years, where users are in trouble after installing a new software and can't get rid of it completely and in the end these users have a computer full of junk-files and a messy registry.

For uninstalling softwares, which I've used for a long period, I use this combination :
    "Add/Remove Programs (Windows) + Total Uninstall + Registry Cleaner" and in that order. I can't use FDISR for these softwares. I'm not happy with this combination, because this wouldn't be neccessary if each software had a good uninstaller.
    It's not my fault, that software companies can't uninstall their OWN software completely. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@Tommy
    I no expert but I suspect as long as you don't keep using any utilities whose reg entries you wipe, then possibly not in violation of license; but, as Bellgamin said....

The tool will ? only work to clean reg entries that it can identify which would really imply a data base of all "copyright/limiting" reg keys.
    My understanding is that this could be many thousands of entries long. There are many widely distributed coyright tools as well as many "home made" varieties.
    The author would really have to have analysed install routines with all known utilities with cripple functions.

How about INCtrl5 as an option.?
    Any body know whether this will track all entries?

AS E-A says maybe testing should be done in a rollback environment but this might be a bit of a "manufactured environment".

There are multiple free and commercial "Registry snapshot" tools which I think could be used to delete specific entries after install/uninstall.

Regards

9. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Most logical, because if they do, you would allways get after a reinstall of a shareware a fresh new trial period. That would be the perfect c... (forbidden word)

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would think most license agreements apply only if you keep using the product. Once I delete the product, I feel no obligation not to delete registry keys.

Besides like Erik said if you really want to be unethical you can use something like FDISR and keep trialing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.