Transferring images from one computer to another?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by blairgowrie, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blairgowrie

blairgowrie Registered Member

I am using True Image Home 2009. Is it possible to back up an image on one computer and transfer it to another computer using an external hard drive?

Many thanks

2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

If you mean that you want to restore the image on another computer it depends on how similar the other computer is to the one where you created the image.

If they are identical then it should be a piece of cake. Otherwise, you would need to have Acronis' Universal Restore and even then you would be required to provide device-drivers (to Universal Restore) for the target computer.

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

You might be able to do this.

See How to move Windows XP hard disk to a different computer or motherboard without BSOD. I've seen some suggestions that the fix_hdc program mentioned in that link also works in newer (than XP) Windows operating systems.

I tried restoring a backup of Windows 7 x64 to an older machine with different hardware. I used Paragon Rescue Kit Free and some built-in Windows commands to get the older machine to boot, but once it did Windows 7 was able to boot successfully on the older machine :D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.