Transferring data from old HD to new HD into new PC

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by Baz63, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baz63

Baz63 Registered Member

I am building a new PC.

After much reasearch I have decided to follow the majority view which is I should buy a new HD, load xp onto it and transfer my programmes and data files using transfer migration software (after partitioning with Acronis naturally). There are too many compatability issues to allow putting my old HD into my new system.

Does Acronis migrate easy perform this function of transferring data? If not can anyone recommend software?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Baz63,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis System Transferring Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Yes, Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 can be used for your purpose. Here is the basic scheme of transferring the operating system to a different hardware:

- Prepare your Windows for transferring using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep) as it is described in this FAQ article;

- Connect the hard drive which you want to transfer your operating system to.

- Boot from Acronis Migrate Easy Bootable Rescue CD, you can create this CD using Acronis Migrate Easy installed under Windows.

- Use the Clone Disk wizard to transfer the entire contents of your old hard drive to the new disk;

- Connect the new hard drive to your new computer and try to boot as usual;

- If it does not boot then please do the following (depending on the operating system you use):

- Boot the computer from Windows 95/98/ME Startup Disk and run "fdisk /mbr" command;

- Boot the computer from Windows 2000/XP Installation CD and run "fixmbr" command in Recovery Console;

- In case it still does not boot, perform Windows Repair Installation as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please be aware that we do not guarantee the successful transferring of your operating system to a different hardware. Actually, no one can guarantee this.

We can also offer you to take a look at Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation software which has Acronis Universal Restore feature. This utility allows to perform system transferring more safely.

You can find more detailed information regarding this feature in the respective User's Guide which you can download from the Documentation section of our web site.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.