Transfering content of H.D. old PC. to new laptop

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ragamuffin Brian, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ragamuffin Brian

Ragamuffin Brian Registered Member

I have been recommended to Acronis True Image by a colleague.
    Scenario: I am replacing my current Laptop with a new model within the next 7 days.
    My current machine has a 12gig, single partition hard drive, the new machine a 40 gig hard drive. Both laptops are operating under XP Pro.

As a newbie to T.I question:-

As I am not on a network with either machines, is it possible to Image the drive upon my old laptop, approx. 10.gig of content direct onto my new machine and the new hard drive using T.I. If so, will the transfer method require a USB file transfer lead. Basically I am looking for the simplest method by which I can transfer the contents of the H.D. upon my old machine to the drive upon the new laptop, or is there more appropriate software available for this task from Acronis, that I need to be aware of?

Any information appreciated

Rgamuffin Brian
    :rolleyes:

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Ragamuffin Brian,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We recommend you to use Acronis True Image 8.0 for your purposes.

Please be aware that in order to transfer your Windows system to a different hardware, you should first prepare Windows using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (Sysprep). You can find more infromation on how to prepare your system for transferring in the following FAQ article.

Please note, that there are two approaches available:
    Disk Clone - moves the entire contents of one disk drive to another.
    Create Image - creates a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes.
    Please read the following FAQ article.

Disk Clone approach requires both source and destination hard drives to be connected to the local PC. This means that you won't be able to clone your hard drives over the network, for example. However you will be able to clone your old laptop hard drive to the new hard drive connectig the destination drive via the USB enclosure.

What concerns Create Image approach, you can also follow the below scenario in order to achieve your goals:

- Prepare your Windows using Microsoft System Preparation Tool;

- Create an image of your old laptop hard drive saving it to any type of the supported media (e.g. CD, DVD, ZIP drive, network drive etc.);

- Boot your new laptop from special Bootable Rescue CD and restore your image;

Please be aware that we can not guarantee the succesfull transfer of your operating system in this case, even if you have prepared it using sysprep.

Please also note that if your new laptop does not boot after you have restored the image then you can try to perform Windows Repair Installation as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please read more information on how to use Acronis True Image 8.0 in the respective User's Guide.

We also recommend you to download and install the free trial version to see how the software works on your computer.

In case you will be satisfied with the work of the trial version of Acronis True Image 8.0, please visit Acronis online store to purchase the product.

Please also note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase.

In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.