Training - Where Did You Guys Get Your IT It?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Izzle, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Izzle

Izzle Registered Member

So I'm pretty impressed by the great threads here...and can't help but wonder, where did everybody get their training?

School, if so, where?
    Sys Admins?
    Network Guys?
    IT Managers?
    Self-Taught?

Any other places to find some training or webinars?

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Self-Taught. When I'm not so lazy I'll get my Sec+ cert, I've already studied for it enough and I've gone through the CompTIA books plenty.

3. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

On the security front, self-taught mostly. Here in Finland it's hard to get education strictly on IT-security. I suppose I could try and get a job later at F-Secure, but for now, the situation remains the same. As security isn't a priority here at the school system, being self-taught on the subject is a really good thing in CV.

Currently studying in Degree Programme in Business Information Technology at North Karelia University of Applied Sciences. I always laugh at the name of the degree, as we mostly study programming and game development. I also have a vocational qualification in data processing, which included studying for IT-support.

But then again, I'm not the expert here. I could imagine some of you guys have decades of experience, and that's the reason I'm here too, to learn more!

4. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I have a Degree in computer technology. I also have various certificates from the same college. What I didn't get in school I learned from doing it myself.

Slightly off topic but when I had Visual Basic in college the teacher knew his time there was short for various reasons and so the last day of class he showed us how to write VB macro viruses. He coded an example and showed us how it worked.

5. Izzle

Izzle Registered Member

The reason I ask - it seems there is a nice niche to fill. But where? I'm not too interested in network administration, perhaps pen testing or CCSP/CEH would be cool, but I'm trying to see if there's anything in the middle, directed more towards the average consumer and lower end small business. Something outside the corporate environment and in between an IT person and a well-versed, but non-credentialed geek.

What qualifications, if any standard has been set, would be best suited for being able to competently advise regular people on some basic Internet security practices? (Mainly focusing on basic security, malware rprevention and backup/recovery.)

Or is what I'm looking for is nothing more than a great blog?

Thanks

6. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Mostly trial and error and self-discovery per say lol. I learned most things on my own, very few things learned in the classroom. Although I will say I learned more about networking from a few jobs I had since they mainly dealt with that particular area in IT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.