Trackpoint and Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mattdocs12345, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Okay here is another topic that I need help with. My thinkpad came with a trackpoint however in Linux Mint it is extremly slow and sluggish. I did try changing the speed and acceleration under the mouse and keyboard settings but it had no effect.

Anybody in here got their trackpoint configuration fixed? If so what is the simplest method.

I found two sources
    1) http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-D...e/Configuring-Trackpoint-in-Linux/ta-p/232008
    - I was unable to install this for some reason. I downloaded the installation file, it asks me for a root password and then completes installation but nothing happens. According to the lenovo site the application suppose to lunch itself right after. I
    2) http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_configure_the_TrackPoint
    - I don't even know where to start here. The instructions are missing explenations...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

It does not lunch automatically.
    Open the terminal and type
    su
    your password
    configure-trackpoint

and then it will lunch the configuration app gui.

Panagiotis

4. mattdocs12345

I did, and it said directory or file not found.

unfortunately most of the thinkwiki information is incomplete (for a novice) or outdated.

5. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

You will find it under the directory "usr/bin"

By the way what linux version did you install i386 (32bit) or x86_64 (64bit)? TCPTL is 32bit only.

Panagiotis

6. mattdocs12345

Okay I pullled it off on Ask Ubuntu website. They have extansive questions database. Most of the information on Thinkwiki was seriously outdated. The lenovo website did not provide detailed enough instructions and assumed the user was advanced.

I have 64 bit version Ubuntu 12.04 Extended support I believe (I don't like the rapid release nonsense) on thinkpad 120e. This one is about to get formatted and Im putting Windows 7 Pro on it. It will be my back up machine. Also my main machine for VOIP, since linux doesn't have the VOIP that I need. My main and most powerful thinkpad X230 is going to get Ubuntu or Cinamon. Not sure which one yet. I like Cinamon more but Ubuntu forum is more responsive and has greater database of answers than Mint.
    And for noobs like me good support will mean the difference between me staying with linux or getting frustrated and going back with Windows.
    Thank you for your help Panagitotis. I will probably have more linux questions that I will post in here.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  7. lotuseclat79

Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS just got upgraded to version 12.04.3 LTS. From a command line Terminal window, you can throw the command: lsb_release -a, in order to find out whether your version is up-to-date.

-- Tom

8. mattdocs12345

And how do I updated it? I now it seems stupid question but I got zero idea... lol

9. lotuseclat79

You can download Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS from Ubuntu Mirrors. Choose the closest|fastest US Mirror to your location, and follow the linked pages to the webpage entitled Index of /ubuntu-releases/12.04.3/ where you will find your a 64-bit version .iso file to download.

Then you burn the .iso file to a DVD/USB, and from there install it or run it as Live USB flash drive.

-- Tom

10. UnknownK

UnknownK Registered Member

Can't he update/upgrade via apt or software manager?

Though I have never used any buntus for more than 15 days, I don't see any reason why a simple "apt-get upgrade" won't do. Is there any difference between an updated 12.04.2 and 12.04.3?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  11. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

For upgrading to 12.04.3, check the Softpedia screenshots here.
    Just a few clicks and some patience. Info easily searched btw.

Regarding the Mint/Ubuntu fora, while Ubuntu will offer much more info on different hardware/OS-program combinations and you can gather a lot of info from specific threads, the huge number of posts sometimes causes your own new thread to end up on page 12 within hours/days.
    The Mint forum is quite responsive to 'new user' questions, I've gotten more (useful) replies there than on the Ubuntu forum when I started using linux first.

12. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

You might want to look through the Linux-ThinkPad mailing list archives, or even post a message there if you don't see an answer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

13. mattdocs12345

Thank you. I managed to get my trackpoint working properly. It was a pain... lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.