Tracking Trick Shows the Web Where You Are

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

This approach relies on the assumption that one's IP address represents one's physical location. For many of us, that's not so. OTOH, for those that reveal true IP addresses, this does represent a clever analysis of that data. I trust that they'll add wireless MAC address geolocation ASAP, and anything else that helps localize users.

3. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Absolutely right on your first point. But, how would somebody get the MAC address from a protected wireless router? I know Google got many from unprotected/open routers - but how would the MAC be tracked from a protected router?

4. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

It's my impression that Google collected MACs and SSIDs from all WiFi routers, but got payload data only from open routers. At least, that's how I read their statement:

That is, they distinguish open WiFi networks in the second sentence, but not in the first. However, I don't know enough re WiFi to say whether that's actually doable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.