TRACKING COOKIES

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by shoe, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoe

shoe Registered Member

Is the automat delete of tracking cookies working?

2. tigertheboo

tigertheboo Registered Member

I too am frustrated by this problem. Ewido failed to remove some simple tracking cookies. I installed avg 7.5. It found the cookies, asked me if I it should remove them and said it did. When I checked they were still there. Easy enough to remove manually and not all that serious, but makes me worry if real bad guy stuff is being removed. Anyway, a note to technical support elicited a response telling me what a cookie is.

Previous correspondence indicated that the Ewido folk were aware of the problem and planned to fix it, so I assumed it would be fixed in the avg 7.5 update. no luck

3. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

4. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

It is definitely fixed in 7.5.0.47/50.

Are you guys sure that you have enabled the specified option?

Regards,
    Vinzenz

5. shoe

shoe Registered Member

It is here but it is missing a ton of them

6. tigertheboo

I might have the answer. When scanning the cookies appear and you are asked if you want to follow the recommend action that appears to be delete. It doesn't delete them.

But if you then go to the scan and then setting tab and change the what do you want to do from recommended to delete and then scan at least the simple cookies i had placed on my system were eliminated.

Perhaps there is a mild inconsistency hetween the labels in the scan -- settings tab and those that appear when you scan and are asked to decide what to do. I suspect both have to be set.

7. SpiritWind

SpiritWind Registered Member

Hi All :

Perhaps you should be using a "cookie manager", such as the good & FREE
    "Cookiewall" ( best downloaded from : www.spychecker.com/program/cookiewall.html ) to keep cookies from getting
    ON your computers in the 1st place !?

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Nothing wrong with suggesting other forms of cookie handling but in an appropriate forum....not over on this support forum. We like to keep things clean and tidy as it pertains to ewido.

Thanks,
    Bubba

9. toasale

toasale Registered Member

IMHO anything that is found via any type scan should have its details/properties looked at, then...you make your best guess.

Conversly, if I'm not sure something was not picked up and it's somewhat easy to identify, I'll go to the net and research it.

There are no perfect programs and we know this:) ;)

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

After you scan, the found cookies or data miners are listed, and on my copy "delete" is set as the recommended action. So I just click the "recommended action" button and the cookies are deleted.

11. vinzenz.ewido

I'm sorry but we still can not confirm this problem.

The automatic cookie removal has nothing todo with manual or scheduled scans

The automatic cookie removal has to be enabled in the guard settings and it will remove them if cookies exist.

The next question is. Which browsers are you using?

Please provide more information what exactly fails.

Regards,
    Vinzenz

12. tigertheboo

Vinzenz
    Sorry for the trouble. When previous versions of ewido were having the cookie removal trouble I added another spyware program and keep its equivalent of guard settings on. It routinely blocks (most cookies). Computer magazines suggested not having two guard settings from two spyware programs on, so I shut off the guard from ewido (and later will reverse whose guard I leave on). Ewido's guard is off; the other spyware programs guard is now own.

I do use paid ewido for full scans that I manually evoke a couple of times a week. With the other spyware cookie removal settings on, only an occasional cookie appears with the recommendation to delete.

Now the problem (that I think I've fixed): When ewido asks me what to do with the discovered cookies I say follow the recommendation and it claimed to have removed the cookies, but it didnt'. However, I then went to the settings under scan (not under the guard, as for the moment guard is off as the competitor's guard is on). The default on my ewido program is to to do recommended actions but at first this seemed not to work. I then changed the default under settings for scan (not for guard) to delete rather than do the recommended. I then allowed some simple tracking cookies to appear on my system (by shutting off the guard and going to a safe site with tracking cookies) and repeated the whole process. This time the cookies were removed without any problem. What seems to be the case is with guard off, you have to have the settings under scan to delete as recommended action.

So to summarize:

my brower us firefox current version
    guard is off on ewido, on on the other spyware, but occasinally a tracking cookie slips through that ewido on full scan discovers

when I manually scan with ewdio and the scan setting is do the recommended action with malware nothing happens though ewido claims to have removed the cookie; when the setting under scan is to delete the malware the delete works fine.

So for cookies everthing is fine. My concern is if I were to find something worse than cookies; I don't want to delete it but rather would want to make sure it got quarantined in case it was a false positive that I needed to restore later on so want to make sure the settings under scan, are consistent with the actions suggested after a scan finds something.

thanks for looking into this, sorry for the length of my answer and I hope this helps

13. vinzenz.ewido

I didn't digged into it to much, but if you want to quarantine something, and you have applied all actions the object which should be quarantined should appear in your quarantine list in the 'infections' module.

If it is there you can be sure that it was removed and a backup saved.

However, this sounds really like a new bug and I will check this of course.

Regards,
    Vinzenz

14. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Automatic deletion of tracking cookies ?

Edited :

My default action is set to Quarantine with all scan settings ticked and reports
    to be generated after every scan, but only if threats are found. There are
    currently 7 items in Detected Malware So Far (but nothing in Quarantine !)
    These are obviously all tracking cookies as full scans with AVG and 3 other progs.
    show nothing found.
    I would like to know whether the tracking cookies are automatically
    deleted whilst browsing i.e. they will not be placed into Quarantine, and
    there will not be an alert. ( No alerts, no user intervention)
    Using IE7 and Opera 9.02. AVG 7.5.0.50 plus up-to-date signatures.
    Nothing serious, but advice will be appreciated.

Apologies if considered 'bumping'.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  15. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Any comments/advice ?

16. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

If you have configured AVG-AS to remove cookies automatically, Trackers will be deleted realtime while you surf. Each time a cookie is deleted the detection counter will be increased. The cookie will not be quarantined (that would be wholly unnecessary!) and you will receive no notification via pop-up (else you would be getting pop-ups all the time!).

The only way to know whether trackers have been removed is to look at the score on the detection counter. You may care to reset this after each session to keep tabs on what has happened.

17. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks TopperID. I thought so, but am grateful for the confirmation. :)

18. tigertheboo

Sorry to keep bothering people, but I just did a full scan of my system, default settings are to delete. Ewido found three cookies in the profiles part of firefox, claimed to remove them but again failed. All my setting were to delete.

Then of course in manually trying to remove them I accidentally deleted all my cookies, no big deal.

I thought I had solved the problem but apparently not. The cookies are simple ones like tacoda, googleservice and I forget the third

Interest when manually searched I could not find one of the cookies in the folder.

19. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

You keep saying ewido, which does not exist anymore, so do you have AVG anti-spyware 7.5 installed or the older ewido 4.0?

20. tigertheboo

paid version of avg 7.5

21. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

shoe and tiger, read all of this thread. It may help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.