Tracking cookie continues to reappear

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by justjackOH, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justjackOH

justjackOH Registered Member

Every few days, Ad-aware finds that the same "tracking" cookie has re-appeared on my PC. How do I permanently stop this tracking cookie? I've attached my Ad-aware log that shows the cookie.

What I'm hoping to find out is 1) do you know where this tracking cookie comes from, 2) why doesn't SpywareBlaster block, and 3) is there a tool out there that will block it from being deposited on my PC again?

Here is a snippet from the Ad-aware log that shows the cookie:

Deep scanning and examining files (C:)
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Tracking Cookie Object recognized!
    Type : File
    Data : justjack@cgi-bin[1].txt
    Object : C:\Documents and Settings\justjack\Cookies\

Created on : 9/14/2004 2:27:58 PM
    Last accessed : 9/17/2004 4:11:20 PM
    Last modified : 9/14/2004 2:27:58 PM

Thanks for your help.

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi justjackOH...:)

It depends if the particular cookie is listed in SWB's database or not.

Tracking cookies in themselves, are not a big issue in the scheme of things malware related, just an annoying privacy issue.

Actually, as you can see by the path, you can easily go and open one and have a look, only a txt file.

The best way to monitor cookies, if using IE, is to override IE's default settings.

In IE browser:

Tools/Internet Options
    Privacy TAB
    Click Advanced ~ Set your settings like the screenshot.
    [or just 'Accept' for First party cookies and Block 3rd party ones. Session cookies expire at the end of a session, as in when browser is closed.]
    Click OK
    Click Apply
    Click OK

You will be prompted though, from now, on whether you want to accept or not, can become annoying. :)

But the popup window does have a check box which you can check which says something like "Remember my choices for this site in futute", so that particular site will not trigger the prompt box again.

If using other browsers, even IE engince cored ones like MyIE/Maxathon; Slim browser, Avant, etc. there are cookie controls in there.

Also in non IE ones like Firefox, Mozilla, Opera, etc. once again usually options for cookie handling in them.

HTH,
    Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

3. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

Whilst I'm sure this is a case of "each to his own", I actually go one step further than Tassie and don't allow any cookies at all on my PC apart from session cookies. Have been doing this for over a year now and can't remember not being able to access a web site because of it.

Admittedly I use Firefox which has a better password manager than IE (never could make that work properly.)

So, for any web sites that need a log on, eg your bank, credit card or whatever, the info is kept in the password manager. Over time this has proved, to me, better and more convenient than having cookies all over the place.

I grew uncomfortable with cookies when I realised that a cookie I had stored for a newspaper crossword that I subscribe to had (fairly) personal info on it such as my gender, my age and my post code. So it had to go. Instead I just click on the submit button on their web site and Firefox's pw manager does all the hard work and I feel a lot more comfortable about it all.

Just a bit of food for thought.. ;)

4. Stepper

Stepper Guest

Hi, great forum and very useful advice given.

Got Spywareblaster & Adaware 6.0. I'm getting the same problem with a tracker cookie that always gets picked up even though I've blocked 1st & 3rd party cookies with IE6. I'm allowing session cookies only.

The cookie is:

c:\windows\cookies\default@cgi-bin[1].txt

(sometimes appears as: c:\windows\cookies\default@cgi-bin[2].txt)

Can anyone help - or is it something not to be too concerened about.

Ta

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.