Tracking Cookie check

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by sw2001, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sw2001

sw2001 Registered Member

Is there a way to find out if a webpage is installing tracking cookies on your computer? Maybe a kind of online scanner or similar. If yes, please let me know, thanks.

2. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi sw,

You'll be pleased to hear there is such an online service, and it's Free !

Also Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware both will find cookies as well as potentially lots of other stuff you might not want too on your PC. Those two Apps are also Free.

You can look in your Cookies folder on your PC and see what's in there too. And you can Disable third party cookies in IE which is always a good idea. First party you can disable for most of the time, and just enable them when you need to log in somewhere, and then disable them again.

You can empty all the Cookies in IE options as often as you like, and other browsers have cookie choices too.

. . .

The free web-based scanning service helps Internet users safeguard their privacy by detecting the presence of potentially harmful third-party tracking cookies which monitor online behavior. Tracking cookies collect surfing behavior and report that behavior back to unknown entities, thereby presenting a security risk to online users as well as a violation of privacy.

The Zone Labs Security Scanner is an easy-to-use, always up-to-date service for anyone who wants to protect their PC and the valuable information stored on it from online snoops."

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/promotions/spywarescanner/index.jsp?lang=en&ctry=US&dc=12bms

. . .

StevieO

3. sw2001

sw2001 Registered Member

Hi Stevie,
    thanks for the link and programs, but it's not quite exactly what I was looking for. I thought more of a page where you type or copy the URL and it checks for tracking cookies, similar like the W3C Validation Service does for HTML standard.

4. TNT

TNT Registered Member

I don't think there is. Also, tracking cookies are quite often set by "included" banners/iframes that reside on external pages (and that change often), so if you don't find one it doesn't mean there's not going to be one next time you reload the page (if we talk about "sleazy behavior" I don't think you can really consider the external object as "totally unrelated" to the page you're viewing).

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

6. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

get firefox you can have total controll over cookies

7. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Even if you have Internet explorer, you can control what you get by configuring your 'Internet zone' and 'Trusted sites' and by editing or over-riding cookie control.
    On the bottom right hand corner of the window when you visit a website a little cookie icon will appear, [sometimes with a red line through it meaning that cookie is blocked]. However, If you click the cookie, IE will tell you how its handling that cookie and other cookies on that site, and you can change this if you like, no need for another programme.

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Oh man, I did not know, that the Privacy Report Icon is for cookies. Thanks. ;)

9. ghodgson

Do I detect sarcasm there?? Because if so, there are people out there who may NOT know!

10. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

No, I use IE for more than 2 years and I had no idea, that I can manage cookies as well. I only knew, that I can manage popup and addons via there. Thanks for the tip. :)

11. ghodgson

sorry, jumping to the wrong conclusion, glad to be of help.
    Gordon

12. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I was a little surprised because I just started using firefox and ran a spybot scan and got the result listed below.

Now, I'm not saying that you cannot control your cookie settings with firefox, and maybe these cookies are harmless. I am surprised, however, if the default setting for a browser that claims to be security enhanced is to assist scumbag marketers to harrass their clients.

- HandsOff

Attached Files:

13. yes, firefox default setting does not block third party cookies.

14. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

Get the lastest Arovax Shield with FF support...blocks tracking cookies well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.