TPM: Linux First OS to Fully Support TC

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Searching_ _ _, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

TPM (Trusted Platform Module) and TC (Trusted Computing) is:
    Science Daily

Is there a way to check if a TPM is present on a given motherboard/processor?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  2. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

On one of the newer MSI desktop motherboards that I've seen lately, it's an option. A 14-pin connector is included on the motherboard for a TPM module, but the module itself is ordered separately from MSI for $10 or $15.

There is also a BIOS setup submenu for Trusted Computing.

3. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Hehe, Wikipedia...

The dark side of TPM:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Computing

4. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

TPM is a double-edged sword. On the one hand it does definitely increase security in numerous ways. On the other, it allows vendors to lock you in and disable your PC if they so desire (for example if they catch you pirating software, they can shut you down). It will definitely kill freedom in software. And there is no doubt Microsoft had this vendor lock-in in mind when they designed their own TPM-like mechanism known as Palladium.

Richard Stallman wrote a good essay on why TPM could be the ultimate evil in regards to computer user's freedoms. Bruce Schneier is also very critical of TPM as he outlines in this article. When either of these two guys speak, it is wise to listen.

P.S. It comes as no surprise to me that OpenSUSE was the first Linux distro to offer full support since they are in bed with Microsoft. Although I do know that other distros have been working on TPM -- Gentoo comes to mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.