Toshiba's HDD Recovery Utility

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by yontev, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yontev

yontev Registered Member

Hello,

In 2005, my husband purchased a Toshiba Tecra M4. After years of use...it's time to clean house...reformat and start again.

We looked around for the recovery disks, and couldn't find any. After looking through the documentation, we discovered that it never came with any...and that on the hard drive in a separate partition there is a recovery utility that will create the recovery disks for us. The manual suggested that one ought to create the recovery disks after purchase...but of course, we didn't due to our ignorance.

I am guessing that this utility.. simply is an image of the initial hard drive set at the factory, and that running the utility places the image in a bootable format. However, I am not completely confident about my understanding of this process. Before we move forward and create this recovery disk, I'd like to know whether it is relevant that the current system is not in very good shape...buggy and unstable. Will the recovery disks we create still be suitable?

-N

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Hi, From within windows there should be a wizard(look for it) that let you make recovery Cd's.Use these CD's to set your system back to factory defaults(install windows with all the preconfigured and added trialware)but if you have no original retail Windows setup,then its your only option.Maybe someone here at Wilders can you link to a special app. which can dump most of the bloatware.
    Huub.

3. yontev

yontev Registered Member

Still need my question answered by someone. Does the HDD recovery utility make an image of the current system on the c drive...or is a pristine image already existing within the utility?

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Yontev,

It should be accessing an untouched image on the separate recovery partition, not the active one your up in. Is the operating system XP and do you have a preferred disk brand that has worked well in the past with the onboard burner?

Steve

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  5. yontev

yontev Registered Member

I'm not sure what you are asking...do you mean commercial brands of CDs like Memorex, Imation, Office Depot...etc, or are you talking about something else?

6. tgell

tgell Registered Member

With the Toshiba recovery utility, you only have to hold down the zero key for one second while booting, to access the utility. It will give you three options, one being to restore the comupter to the state you purchased it in. See the following link. Make sure to backup your data.

http://209.167.114.38/support/techsupport/tsbs/all/-TSB001018.htm

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

No, your correct .... cd brand's. Maxell has proven consistent though would say without question the quality of the burner come's first. Onboard burner's I'm more skeptical of, at least the one's that come standard on laptop's such as mine.

Now, if your system's set to show all file's, perhap's you'll look in my computer and tell me what you see?
    Oop's, look's like tgell's got'cha. Not that you'll need it but, good luck.

Steve

8. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

No,there is no imaging,and yes in this utility as you name it,there is an untouched,pristine,factory default copy of your current system plus al the bloatware from thirth party vendors and minus the stuff you installed after the purchase.

9. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Main reason to recover is to get rid of an unstable quirky system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.