Torrents through Chrome

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by TS4H, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Hi everyone,

Im a long time user of chrome, and use U-torrent as my download client on windows 7. I recently started using an extension for Chrome called Zenmate, that im sure your familiar with.
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/zenamte?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

With the ever increase in surveillance and the current lack of privacy, I was wondering your thoughts on privacy and safety in the use of combining chrome and zenmate with " utorrent for google chrome "
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/utorrent-for-google-chrom/jjhaafelbmbpohgmabippkndaaikgdih

Its a download client that is a plugin for chrome.

regards

2. guest

guest Guest

I don't have too much knowledge in this field but, shouldn't a proper paid VPN be a better idea? And I thought Zenmate is not that much of a help?

3. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

True in regards to a paid VPN. But i get the impression Zenmate encrypts ALL web traffic by passing communication through a server not just general web traffic. Hence, shouldnt torrent traffic also pass through Zenmate if the utorrent extension for chrome is used? Its really not my field either thats why im curious. To be honest im new to this whole VPN or Tor solutions to privacy. Hopefully someone with Zenmate knowledge will shine in.

How is Zenmate not much of a help if i may ask?

Thanks for your response BTW

Regards

4. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I also use Zenmate, even if I do not Torrent via Chrome. What happens frequently when downloading big stuff is that it fails due to some generic Network Error.
    For example, I was unable to download Xubuntu ISO with Zenmate on, after about 400MB it showed up the error message.
    Switching it off...no problem.

Thus I believe this might happen also when torrenting big files.

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

This shouldn't be a problem with torrent as file is downloaded in small pieces and even if connection fails, all pieces that have been downloaded are saved on disk. After re-connection download should continue where it stopped.

hqsec

6. guest

guest Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
  7. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Thanks for these above links, after reading these plus a few hours research into VPN's, Zenmate and Tor etc. I decided to give my initial thoughts on this combo a miss. VPN by far is much more secure and private, and especially with these downsides/ limitations as mentioned, i might as well go all out and purchase a service.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.