Torrent

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by khanyash, Nov 18, 2014.

1. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

On Kickass torrent, movies are organized as 1080p/720p/bluray, etc...
    Whats the difference between 720p & bluray on kickass?
    I mean isn't 720p & bluray same & vice versa?

And some 720p bluray movies appear in DVDRIP & unknown section.
    When I check the movies details, they are mostly same i.e format/codecs, etc... so why they appear in DVDRIP & not in 720p section?

The uploaders uploads movies in those section or the site analyzes & organizes them?

2. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

There are probably re-encoded 1080p & 720p (< 10 gb) versions and untouched bluray rips (> 10 gb). I have no idea about ownership or organization, but it's probably the uploader who's tagging the uploads there.

3. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Well, Bluray is 1080p and have a much higher bitrate. The one you are seeing for 720p/1080p are encoded from the bluray at a much lesser bitrate. And the 720p in DVDRip are actually upscaled.

4. khanyash

Is 720p DVDRip better than DVDRip for 40 Inches Full HD TV?

5. subhrobhandari

6. khanyash

Why?

I asked coz I tried couple 720p DVDRip & DVDRip sample of the same movie by the same uploader & 720p DVDRip looked quite better compared to DVDRip on my 40 Inches Full HD TV.

7. subhrobhandari

Native is better. An upscaled video, should not look better (obviously remastered films done at a professional level are excluded) than the native resolution. If the upscaled version is looking better than the standard DVDRip then the reason is standard DVDRip is crappy. However, if you compare a DVD Video (not the rip, the original DVD Video stream) or a DVDRip (done with same resolution and good bitrate and output settings) then you should not have experienced this.

Visually, even under optimal settings you should be experiencing very little benefit from the upscaled videos. If you are interested you might google native resolution vs upscaled or something like that.

8. khanyash

If upscale doesn't provide better quality than native so why torrent uploaders encode in 720p DVDRip?
    I mean there are torrent groups technically experts & they too provide 720p DVDRip, why if the quality would not be better than native?

What about downscale?

A 720p encode from 720p bluray & 720p encode from 1080p bluray, the quality would be the same or which one would be better?

9. subhrobhandari

Okay, lets see. Suppose a standard DVD's resolution is 720x480 and bitrate is 8000 kilobyte/sec. Then someone is encoding that to a video resolution and bitrate much lesser than the original. Then someone also does a 720p DVDrip of that with much higher bitrate/resolution than the standard dvdrip done earlier. It will look better because the standard dvdrip is of crappy quality. But if you did a standard rip with same resolution and good bitrate then you should not be able to tell the difference.

Think of it this way, the standard dvdrip is much lower quality than the DVD and the 720p is much closer to the original quality. And the video seems different because of different settings applied, including the system/codec you are using. Original DVD>720p DVDRip>standard DVDRip. Note, in this case I am assuming the standard dvdrip is lower resolution and bitrate than the DVD/720p. When encoding some detail will be lost, so thats why I am putting original DVD first.

Bluray is of 1080p, you can encode to 1080p/720p. However the quality perceived to you would depend on many factors, but 1080p is superior. However to recognize such detail of 1080p you would need good display.

10. khanyash

OK, so I think 720p DVDRip looks better than DVDRip on my Full HD TV coz 720p DVDRip is encoded with higher bitrates.
    I checked the samples bitrates that I used for testing & compared other 720p DVDRips & DVDRips too & 720p DVDRips have higher bitrates.

I am little confused now. How come 720p DVDRip & DVDRip have app same video size if 720p DVDRip has higher bitrates? ( the difference in size is app 25-50-100 MB)

11. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

This should explain some of what you're after.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/720p

KickAss or (KAT) recently moved domains to avoid another domain takedown attempt. This all quite illegal.
    Some ISP's openly block Warez and file sharing websites.

Users should be especially vigilant during the Holiday season with so-called Screener Movie torrents.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.