TOR/PRIVOXY and WANADOO dynamic IP's

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by slightlyoffcentre, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slightlyoffcentre

slightlyoffcentre Registered Member

I have had great results with Tor And Privoxy on my system, but my friend has Wanadoo and needs to get static Ip address, before Privoxy will work, as Wanadoo say they cannot provide static Ip address, I guess the only way to go is to get DNS name and point Privoxy to this. The problem I have is trying to work out where the DNS name should go in the Privoxy main config file, ie does it replace the socks4 header, or go after the header, I cannot seem to find Address line in config file. If anyone can help I would be obliged, or another set up solution to get these programmes working would be great. At the moment when my friend tests Tor, he gets message "you are not using tor", and dynamic address showing on FFMYIP addon always gives UK dynamic address !
    Thank you.
    And best regards.
    Chris.

2. slightlyoffcentre

I cannot believe that nobody can answer this question, or does not want to answer it, can nobody tell me where to put DNS name into the Privoxy main config file ?
    Thanks anyway.
    Regards.
    Chris.

3. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Privoxy (and any other local proxy software for that matter) has no need for a static IP address. All it requires is configuration and Kye-U's Guide to Setting up Tor with Privoxy and Proxomitron has the most detailed information on this.

The only case where a static IP would be needed would be if someone wanted to run a server for others to access - Tor itself could be set up as one and there are benefits (as well as pitfalls) to doing this, but it is not required to access the Tor network.

5. slightlyoffcentre

Thanks starfish_001 and paranoid2000 for replies to above, but the line I am trying to resolve from the Tor /Privoxy help is" Tor can handle dynamic ip's just fine as long as the server itself knows it's ip. Add your domain name to the address line in the config file, and the download servers will keep track of your server when it gets a new ip"
    So my question still is if my mates domain name is ie george @ no_ip.com, where does this go on the Privoxy config file.
    Thanks.
    S.O.C.

6. topcat139

topcat139 Registered Member

I'm not exactly certain what it is that you are asking. Is it that you cannot reach your friend or that you cannot connect through tor yourself?
    For tor all it needs to do is listen on your local address and port (127.0.0.1:9050) and privoxy listens on 127.0.0.1:8118. If you have the configuration setup properly on privoxy then privoxy will route all your socks calls through to tor. As for tor, there is a small app. called tordns that will allow you to shut down the dns client running in windows. This forces all dns look ups to go through tor.
    As for your friend, he needs to simply use a dynamic IP service like, dyndns to have an address reachable from the internet. If he is trying to set up the services, he doesn't have to do anything different.
    If you have more then one computer on your lan and want to route all your lan communications through the proxy you can have privoxy also listen on its local address. (192.168.x.x:8118 ) That will allow it to route communications from other computers on your lan and still not be reachable from the outside.

You may also want to try either the privoxy/tor/torcp bundle which handles most of the setup and config for you, else you can just add torcp to your system which will give you both a graphical and textual interface, (which I find very helpful). I dont know if this answers your question but I tried. Good luck!

Topcat139:ninja:

7. Paranoid2000

It doesn't. For Privoxy you only need the configuration file provided in Kye-U's FAQ mentioned above.

As for Tor, it should need no configuration if you are accessing it as a client (the default config file should do). If you (or your friend) wish to run a Tor server, then dynamic IP is going to be more of an issue (I suspect that it may not be practical with a rapidly changing IP address since they are used in node authentication). However, as Topcat139 has said, more information on what you are trying to achieve would be needed.

8. slightlyoffcentre

Many thanks paranoid2000 and topcat139 for your replies, let me be more concise. My friend has the problem, I am trying to help him, he is in NZ at the moment and I wanted to have this sorted by the time he returns in 6 weeks, let me explain. my friend has tor and privoxy the same as me, when he goes to the tor checking site it tells him he is not using tor!!! On reading the tor help, it clearly says that tor can use dynamic Ip addresses if you first get a free dns name from no-ip.com and use their dynamic dns update client programme(THIS IS TOR INSTRUCTIONS IF YOU DONT HAVE STATIC IP) which my friend does not.
    The tor instructions go on to say simply put your dns name into the privoxy main config file and all is well. The problem I have is where exactly do I put the dns name in the privoxy config file? IE I have to alter the config file(write to it) FRED BLOGGS @ NO-IP.COM. WHere does this go?
    Hope I made that clear.
    Many thanks.
    s.o.c.

9. slightlyoffcentre

Just a note further to the above, I am not setting my friend up as a server for tor, so if the tor instructions ONLY refer to tor as a server on a computer, then I am barking up the wrong tree (or just barking)We both have a prog installed(my friend and myself) that constantly shows our IP Address, whilst mine shows countries from around the world(ie it is working) my friends shows only UK Flags (it is not working) So if my friends problem has nothing to do with IP, then I dont know why his is not working! I have done the 8118 and the 9050, and his main privoxy config file is reading the same as mine, so I shall have to look again.
    Thanks again.
    s.o.c.

10. Paranoid2000

Well start with a few basic checks - has your friend configured his browser to use Privoxy? (if so, any URLs he visits should appear in the Privoxy window). Is Tor working on his system? (check its logs). Assuming that he is running a firewall, does it show browser -> Privoxy -> Tor traffic?

11. slightlyoffcentre

Thanks again paranoid for reply, but as stated before friend now in NZ so cannot get to his system until he returns, when I first posted, had no replies for 4 weeks when my friend had the problem and was here. So I will have to post again on his return if I cannot sort it.
    I thank you again for your help and patience.
    Regards.
    S.O.C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.