Tor or VPN

Discussion in 'polls' started by x942, Aug 7, 2013.

?

Tor OR VPN?

1. Tor

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Our VPN

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. User selected VPN

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  4. Options for Both

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. x942

x942 Guest

I am designing an easy to use and open-source Privacy Appliance. I wanted to know people's opinion on this:

Would you rather it use Tor or a VPN or both options?

I am thinking Tor as AFAWK it is the most anonymous service. VPN's are more secure though as their is less risk the end-node is sniffing your passwords (you either trust the company or don't).

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Options for both at the same time. :D

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

A device with three network ports would be very cool: 1) WAN, 2) VPN, and 3) Tor via VPN. You could ship with your VPN installed, but make it configurable.

4. x942

x942 Guest

Thank you for the feedback. I am going to look into having options, and a third port for VPN. :thumb:

I assume what you mean is this:

Plug router into Tor port and everything goes over Tor
    Plug router into VPN port everything goes over VPN

We may be able to this using on port for bot an a switch. Easily toggle between VPN and Tor.

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

:)

I meant "Plug router into Tor port and everything goes over Tor, which itself is routed over the VPN".

I don't know whether that's doable without VMs.

I'd rather have both available simultaneously. Also, using the same machine on both is dangerous, I think, unless you use LiveCDs.

6. x942

x942 Guest

Ah. I think your better bet would be running the VPN on your computer and then this hardware box automatically forwards you over TOR.

We have set up 3 options:

1) TOR (Default)
    2) VPN (Ours - if we get enough funding)
    3) VPN (yours)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.