Tor or Anonymizer.com's Total Access Shield?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by idontknowtech, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idontknowtech

idontknowtech Registered Member

Which software is more effective for surfing the web anonymously? Is it Tor, or Anonymizer.com's Total Access Shield? I use Tor right now, and I really like it, but I find it incredibly slow. It reminds me of the Internet back in 1995. Which of the two is more effective? Which is better for speed?

... and, is there any other alternatives out there that are just as good (and really fast). I would be willing to pay for a service like this if it was fast.

Thx

2. idontknowtech

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Tor. It´s open source (i.e. you can see the code)
    Alternative: JAP.

4. idontknowtech

But Tor is sooooooooooo slow. Being open source doesnt make any difference to me.

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Between open source or coming from Anonymizer.com? Your right of course what difference would it make to someone who can't read this stuff, but rest assured there are people looking at code and working with it who would soon report trouble.
    My Tor quickens up after a little time, some pages only take a couple of seconds, although it depends on the page.

Attached Files:

6. tayres

tayres Guest

I've used GhostSurf, which is another anonymizer. It encrypts a connection up to Tenebril's anonymous hubs, but not beyond. From my experiences, it worked as claimed. I also found browsing significantly faster than with Tor.

But Tenebril is a private company (owned by another corporation and a holding company) and security is only as good as their policies and practices. Since Tor is open source, anyone can verify what it claims to do, as others have pointed out.

If you're worried about man in the middle (MITM) attacks and evil twin scams, or someone at your ISP prying into your surfing habits, and you're not worried about a remote company having the capacity to know the web sites you visit, an anonymizer would probably do.

Tor (along with something like Privoxy), however, is closer to complete anonymity, though it is had at the cost of slower throughput.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2007
  7. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

I wouldn't trust much a single proxy. I've heard that Anonymizer doesn't let you visit some websites (restriction policy). With all that hysteria going on in today's world (everyone is suspect terrorist/pedophile/tax evader/mobster/public enemy unless proven opposite) I could hardly believe that TLAs would let such a service run independently out of Big Brother's control.

If your priority is privacy/anonymity stay with Tor (with Privoxy). If you're not that concerned and prefer speed over privacy you can go with some commercial anonymizer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.