TOR - new browser out

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Palancar, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

If you guys are running slow on TOR today its because the new browser they released is being downloaded in mass!!

2. Paranoid Eye

Paranoid Eye Registered Member

thanks, do many people still use Tor bundle ?

I always stuck with Whonix to be on safe side :)

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

4. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Many more people use TBB. Its much easier to deal with (no install, just download and extract to desktop) even though arguably its not as safe, because it lacks the isolation Whonix affords. When Whonix stopped updating automatically lots of folks got frustrated and stopped using it. The contention was that it wasn't Whonix but the manner in which the updates were coming down being incompatible. Either way the end result was that many will not go through the manual "exercise" to keep Whonix going through the browser updates. I use both.

5. TaranScorp

TaranScorp Registered Member

It's to bad there's no whonix bundle that you can install and have it up and running like the Tor Browser bundle. All the scripts that you have to do for whonix throw me off every time.

6. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Downloads of the new TorBrowser could slow access to their server but wouldn't be sufficient to slow the entire network. I can't speak for other exit nodes, but on mine the traffic volumes for the last 5 days are the heaviest its been since last November when a huge botnet used Tor for command and control and was overloading the exit nodes. Hopefully, it's not happening again.

7. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

I use the Tails distro, mainly for my little crap attempts at malware hunting.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  8. Paranoid Eye

Paranoid Eye Registered Member

This was my thinking also.... I know whonix is best but such a pain and hard to update... its difficult to not just fire up TBB instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.