tor + logmein + vps?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by vini14, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vini14

vini14 Registered Member

helo. would you say it is equally safe from potential data interception and for anonymity purposes, to use VPN to connect directly to a VPS (virtual private server), as it is to use TOR and LogMeIn to connect to that same VPS? is there anthing about logmein i should be afraid of ?

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

No, they're by no means equally secure and anonymous. The most anonymous option is SSH over Tor. SSH over VPN (or nested VPNs) is less anonymous, but perhaps more secure. But you'll probably see more timeouts and dropped connections with Tor. Also, be sure to set up SSH keys, disable login as root, and disable password login (after confirming that key login works).

3. syncmaster913n

syncmaster913n Registered Member

Could you elaborate a bit on why SSH over TOR is more anonymous than SSH over nested VPNs?

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

With VPNs, records may be available that could deanonymize you. If your VPN provider(s) cooperate, and if there are logs, determined adversaries might work back to you. Even without cooperation from your VPN provider(s), traffic analysis might localize you.

With Tor, adversaries would need to compromise an elaborate system that's designed to resist compromise. Although Tor is by no means invulnerable, and is plainly labeled as experimental, it very likely offers stronger anonymity than VPNs. There are some long threads about Tor vs VPNs on Wilders, if you want more.

5. syncmaster913n

syncmaster913n Registered Member

Good point, thanks. I trust my VPN provider so much (I know the owners) that the thought of logs being stored never even entered my mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.