Tor Browser 4.0 and Tails 1.2 released

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Oct 16, 2014.

1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Tor Browser 4.0:
    https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-40-released

Tails 1.2:
    https://tails.boum.org/news/version_1.2/index.en.html

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I'll download TBB when I need it. Don't even keep it in my system, but rather on a RAMDisk instead.

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Running slick on this end!

4. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

The tails devs need to implement encrypted OS like whonix.
    As it is now any prying person who finds your flash drive and sticks in it a windows computer can immediately see you have been using tails. Not least because Windows pops up a message asking if you want to view photo's on the drive and if you OK that, 3 pretty pictures of the tails logo pops up. Nice.

I also don't understand why these devs are so keen to trust Tor. Anyone can download the source code and modify it, how could we know if we are connecting to Tor servers that are using the same code as is on the Tor site. Governments with billions of dollars to spend on internet monitoring could modify it to send a decrypted version of all its traffic to another server and place hundreds or thousands of the modified nodes online. They have almost unlimited budgets for that kind of thing.
    From a security point of view we should be saying we have no way to know the Tor network is legit so therefore assume it is not. I only used Tor a few times and right away it raised my suspicion when a file I tried 5 times to download was corrupt every time. It downloaded fine on a regular web browser, I emailed Tor they said probably a bad exit node modifying traffic.
    Why would people who are supposed to be so concerned with the user's security not even ask me any questions or ask for log files or anything to try and identify this bad node and do something about it ?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.