Tor and multiple browsers

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Fontaine, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

On the Tor site, it says that one might consider using two browsers, one for safe browsing and the other for unsafe. I have Tor configured to work with Firefox (via the TorButton addon). If I wanted to use a browser for 'unsafe' browsing, then I am assuming I would have to use something other than firefox? I assume this because even if I open two browsers, if I enable Tor in one, it is enabled in both.
    I love firefox and prefer not to use anything else. Suggestions on some of you have tackled this, or what your setup is like?

2. reparsed

reparsed Registered Member

How about a portable browser? I use OperaTor for my Tor browsing. There is also xB Browser (formerly TorPark?).

3. Fontaine

So you use OperaTor for safe browsing, and then firefox for unsafe..and just run them simultaneously?
    sorry if i sound like schmuck on this. :)

4. reparsed

reparsed Registered Member

I have used them concurrently without any problems.

5. Fontaine

Thanks for the prompt replies. I use portable firefox on a stick when away from my computer. I'm going to test out opera also and adopt that method. Good advice, thanks.

6. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

You can use xB Browser. It automatically runs and manages Tor, and you can use firefox at the same time without interference.

7. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

8. SteveTX

Last time I checked, TorButton comingles session cookies, making you trackable at every website, in addition to totally ignoring flash cookies altogether, etc. Lots of big differences that Torbutton doesn't cover.

9. markymoo

well i haven't tested it thorougly which is a major need with security software so it does the opposite of what its claiming? have you tried the most recent version?

https://torbutton.torproject.org/dev/

if you checkout the Link Feb 1st those are are all new features which address what you saying it hasn't got.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  10. SteveTX

It appears that it still doesn't have Flash protection. But Mike Perry is a smart guy, and I bet it will eventually, now that we have it. Want to guess where a lot of those features first appeared? That is the difference between innovation and imitation. The inherent problem with TorButton is that you're always trying to clean up after the browser and its unexpected or dirty behaviors. So we dropped TorButton altogether and just hardwired the browser to do we wanted.

11. markymoo

I believe that's Mike Perry 3rd incarnation of a Tor application. Do i know where those features originally came from? that depends what features exactly. One of the good earliest webproxy filtering programs i can remember was Proxomitron about 1998.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.