Topic pop-ups in this forum= PITN

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

In this forum, when I float my cursor over a topic thread it pops-up a summary of the first post in that thread. I find this very annoying, but I haven't found a way to get rid of it.

Is there a way to stop the topic pop-ups?

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Yes, disable scripting.

3. swami

swami Registered Member

Take away the tool tips in your browser configuration.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

5. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Chrome/Iron anyone? I hate it as well... Isn't/shouldn't the thing actually be configurable in profile? o_O

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

7. doktornotor

8. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Sorry to say but wilders is resistant to "change". Why?? - have absolutely no idea. This forum looks really dated and could use a fresh new facelift!

Alot of us have asked previously that sandboxing/virtualization have it's own category but is instead dealt with in "Antimalware" Huh! And they still keep an "anti trojan" category :eek: LOL!

Creating a new category takes about a minute by the way :rolleyes:

9. doktornotor

-1 for the facelift. This is pretty standard vBulletin look, nonintrusive, easy to navigate and all. This doesn't need any funky skins or whatnot. Wrt the previews, I didn't check whether it's bundled w/ standard vB install or some kind of addon, but if possible, making it opt-out in profile settings would be much appreciated.

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

A bit off-topic but I agree in some ways. I actually like the rather "bareness" of the forum. The last thing I want to see is ads everywhere, rainbows of color and all that. It's a simple forum that loads very fast, and IMHO, it should stay that way (I will have to say that, although the humor is there, the "Winpooch reference" on the bee at the top of the page is a bit silly).

I too think some categories such as Virtualization wouldn't hurt to be added, and yes, the trojan forum can pretty much be integrated into the antimalware section. I do question the need for the remaining, long closed HijackThis section and the "Time Out Room". The old logs section just takes up space that could be used to either archive other more useful threads or make a new category. The Time Out Room, well, it obviously isn't used much seeing as the last thread was sent there in July of last year, and, more importantly, threads that either are inappropriate or get out of hand can just be removed entirely if the need arises.

Other than those few changes, I'm quite happy with the way the forum looks. As far as those pop-ups, yeah, that's just Javascript, which isn't even needed here unless you intend to add emoticons to your posts.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I find it annoying too and I can't see how to change it for IE8. Otherwise I think the forum is fine. It's configurable in other forums, I've seen it before and turned it off somewhere or other. Wish it were an option in our profile or something. Oh well.....

12. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I don't see a need for a facelift but would like to see a new category for sandboxes and virtualization.

13. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Just to clarify...

Whether we are resistant to change or not has nothing to do with the mouseover text display that bellgamin is referring to. That is simply a standard vBulletin feature. Even in the latest release of v4, which you can see for yourself at the main vBulletin forum, that text still shows and it is not a member profile selectable option...

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...etin-4-Questions-Problems-and-Troubleshooting

Are you sure those were vBulletin forums? The only option we have here is to turn it off for everyone, or leave it on and pick how much text displays in the bubble.

There are third-party hacks to alter it though. The most popular is to limit the triggering of it to when you put your mouse over the title text only, not just anywhere inside the title box. That would narrow it quite a bit, giving those who don't like it a lot more space where they can move their mouse without triggering the bubble. That might be a good compromise since we don't want to turn it off entirely.

I might also be able to code it to be a member profile option myself. That might be interesting to play with. I'll look to see how that might be done.

As for facelifts, lots of skins, rainbows of color, fancy facebook like walls and profile pages... No, we won't ever be doing that kind of thing here. We like the plain look of the forum, and keeping it clean and fast. All those social networking features just aren't needed for what we're about. It's the content of the posts not how pretty they look.

Other forum sections? I am actually considering another break out from software & services, such as "sandboxes and virtualization". We do maintain a list of such things even though we are not all that constrained by time pressures here. (It doesn't bother me if months go by while considering options. :D )

14. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

And whats wrong with the new VB software?? It's clean, fast & modern looking and pleasing to the eye which this site is so ho-hum looking. Why does it have to be that way??. Why not the new VB look??

Great to hear that. Just start fresh with all new threads going there and shouldn't take more that a minute to setup. Thanks!

Edit: Since many here incorporate "virtualization and imaging" as there main line of defense instead of the scanners, could you label that category that way - "virtualization and imaging"

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Because the mods like the "ho hum" look ;) Trust me, I've seen a lot of my favorite websites change their looks and, well, in a lot of cases it looked just bad. Sometimes the more "spruced up" something is, the worse it looks and the more confusing it ends up being. I like knowing exactly what a section is about, and how quickly it loads. The website may look bland, but it's clean and fast, and I know where everything is.

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

So do I. But it's not ho-hum. It is Spartan & utilitarian. :thumb:

/s/
    Spin Doktor

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I don't think it's ho hum either, just quoting the other poster :)

18. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Ok - name change needed to "Wilders No Likey Changes Forum" :p

19. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I've implemented this option for now, while looking into individual member selection options.

Now, you need to actually hover the mouse over the title itself in order to see the text preview tooltip, rather than passing just anywhere thru the title box. That should make it easier for those that dislike the tooltip to avoid seeing it while still allowing those that use the preview text to still have it available.

Attached Files:

20. doktornotor

Yay, much better! :cool:

21. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Excellent LowMan - still don't see the virtualization category though :eek:

22. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It WAS said they take their time ;) And that's if, in the end, they decide they need it. Be patient, the will seems to be there. Let them work it out at their own pace.

23. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I just created a new category on my site in 57 seconds ;) And it is needed ;)

24. Basic

Basic Registered Member

Why thank you LowWaterMark! That is less annoying though I never thought to complain about it. To me since I could not disable it in the user CP it just became a thing to avoid by positioning my cursor over to the side. By now it is so automatic that my cursor ends up at the side no matter what site I am on.

As to a face lift my vote is nay. I like this forum just the way it is. It is easy on the eyes, easy to navigate, and user friendly. When I load this forum I know where I am going and I hope it stays that way. Don't mind having new categories to read though.

Maybe some extra skins can loaded into the edit options area so members have more of a choice if they want more bling and fireworks for their visiting enjoyment.

25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You haven't really grasped the words "they take their time" and "if THEY deem it necessary" yet, have you? Lol :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.