Top Most Vulnerable Applications and Operating Systems in 2010

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by PJC, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katio

katio Guest

John, you don't read, do you? You come in here with your preconceived opinion and post it no matter how wrong it is? And, then, to top it all assert how "ya live and learn". Well done indeed.

nanana1, sorry, the joke is lost on me. Self-denial?

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Please, just don't ask.

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Hmm.. Opera was not even in the list. Are they that secure? Also, Internet explorer appeared to be more secure than Chrome, and Firefox. I'm very surprised with these results. I wonder how valid they are.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

For the reasons given in various links and explanations here, these tests aren't exactly quotable. They all have their faults, we all know that, some choose to ignore it. I think MS learned a lot in the last couple of years myself. It isn't that shocking that IE would be fairly secure these days. As far as Opera, I doubt they tested it.

5. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

It can only be expected that we should not quote, invalidate and reject any tests when their findings and conclusion are contrary to our beliefs.;) :p

6. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

That's the emotional aspect of being human being and it exists in all of us. As much as we hate to admit it, it's unavoidable. However, that doesn't mean we have to allow it to overpower all of our thinking, understanding and comprehension capabilities - if and as much possible, we can try our best to open up and look at a matter from as many angles as we can. Whatever we decide/infer/conclude is our personal judgment and doesn't have to be in agreement with everyone else...regardless of whatever anyone else would say or label us as. Agree to disagree and let the matter rest. There's no point in bringing it to our death bed...at least, not because of the word 'browser'.:p

P.S. This post is intended to any browser freaks/fanboys that constantly find fault with any other browser. Ironically, that may include myself. Forgive me your honor...

7. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Salutations my dear Katio, I am overwhelmed by your astounding generosity with compliments. Glad you appreciate the finer arts of judgement by others. I am very capable of reading otherwise how would I reply to your autocratic but somewhat impaired view of other people`s superior faculties ?

Are you not aware that the wheels of world civilisation are oiled by people who have preconceived opinions ?

John

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  8. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

It won't be valid for many here as Opera is not in the list.;) :p

Who are your browsers developers ?

IE by Microsoft whose main products are Windows and Office
    Chrome by Google whose main product is the Google search engine
    Safari by Apple whose main products are iPods, iPhones, iPads and iTunes
    Firefox which is heavily funded by Google
    o_O

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

WATSON!! The resemblance is uncanny!

10. katio

katio Guest

You didn't. I appreciate your unintended irony.

Your way of putting things is pretty entertaining, you should write a book or something but please leave IT security (and even comments on that) to people who understand the matter.

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Many meaning you. That is all.

12. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Not me, for me this test which is backed by real actual data confirms it.:cool:

See your response above. Valid for you ?:p

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I know how you think, Nan. If Opera isn't on a test, either A: It "confirms" for you that Opera doesn't need to be tested. Or, B: It "confirms" that the test is invalid because it ignores Opera.

I was saying that all browsers have their faults, not this test. I should have made that clear, I didn't, entirely my fault. Though, as stated elsewhere in the thread, I would agree that not all tests are fault-free either. Which is where my statement of not being quotable came from.

14. katio

katio Guest

Opera got 40, 10 high, 2 low the rest medium
    http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-1961/year-2010/Opera.html
    Time between reported vulnerability and patch released was about 13 and a half days.

There was no test, this is simply a list of all vulnerabilities found and publicly disclosures in 2010. FYI browsers other than the major five (IE, FF, Ch, Sa, Op sorted by marked share) had less vulnerabilities reported. They all average at about 0 that year. Draw your own conclusions...

If you haven't already, read the link I posted above. It will hopefully clear up any misconceptions about what the "article" is and isn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.