Top 7 Reasons People Quit Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by tgell, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Less commercial software, probably, but.. overall, probably not.
    Give me an example.

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

But it's still something that potentially discourages people. Switching to Linux doesn't mean just changing the OS, it means changing the programs you use as well - IF there is a Linux equivalent. For some people who depend on their programs for work, this is a no-go.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

There is more and more non commercial and yet viable alternates for people making an effort to look and try out, of course they are different but then no one said that Linux is WIN clone.

4. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Any shadow defender for linux??

5. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

The topic is why people quit Linux, not why they didn't try it in the first place. Someone who needs Windows only software for work, should know better than to try running it in Linux.

6. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

There is no need for it in Linux.

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Linux doesn't need HIPS, so far no browser based malware has been know to affect linux distros running a user account.

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Your comparison is not based on the same scale. I could ask you for a million Linux utilities that do not exist in Windows - thinking of arping just quickly or netcat, not sure if it's been ported.

Things work difference, hence different applications.

By the way, for Linux you have TimeVault ... did you check it:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TimeVault

Wait for a tutorial, if you like ...

Then you have live CDs all over the place - the best shadow defender around, as you can do whatever you please and poof the changes are gone. For free. You have no live CD in Windows ... you have BartPE, but that's a specialized flavor. Whereas Linux comes in many names, flavors, tastes, architectures, desktop environments, all fully functional CDs, with everything on them.

Plus you can download applications and install in live CD, use media centers, use Compiz Fusion, etc. All in live session.

See the difference?

Cheers,
    Mrk

9. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Asking if Linux has "Shadow Defender" illustrates the ignorance many Windows users have. They assume Linux is like Windows and that Linux is a security disaster like Windows. They assume wrong.

HIPS is mainly a Windows thing. Many of the protections that these third party HIPS provide for Windows are included in Linux by default. The same goes for programs like Sandboxie. All Sandboxie is is a compensation for the poorly designed Windows security model. On a *nix machine, one doesn't need to sandbox Firefox because it is sandboxed from the root directories by default. Or, if you really wanted to sandbox something in Linux (like to where it couldn't even touch user accounts), you can chroot. This is not something you have to download or buy -- it is built right in.

As for Shadow Defender, it seems to be nothing other than a VM. One can easily run Linux in a VM. You can even use a USB stick to run Linux from and have the system "start fresh" each time it is booted.

10. demonon

demonon Guest

Which programs refuse to run in WINE?
    Those who need extra dll's?

11. Beto

Beto Registered Member

People are electronic equipment "set-up" burnt-out. I think linux has less friends and neighbors who know how to help out the clueless.

Even a dvd/cable box connection has too many pages to figure out and people pay for a set up--up to $80. For some strange reason a free os does not merit a payout to get it fixed up and running.

I think this will change as microsoft becomes too troublesome to activate, especially over the phone. Native speakers are hard enough to understand over the limited frequency of the phone and non native speakers rambling off a 50 number sequence are a great encumbrance to getting activated --to many this will be the death knell for microsoft.

In my experience linux has not had any trouble with drivers at all and a internet connection is only 1 or 2 clicks of the mouse away.

Time will make believers out of linux haters in the long run.

12. Arup

Arup Guest

When you boot into a Windows desktop, after the demise of MBM, there isn't a decent monitor out there which does its job without cluttering your desktop or taking up huge resources, GkrellM has no equivalent in Win world, its available for Win but for x32 only. It gives temp, system resource and more in a single compact Windows which stays out of your way. This is but just one simple but essential necessity which exists in Lin world but not in Win world. Even for a simple bandwidth monitor, one needs to pay in Win world but in Lin, Gkrellm handles that as well. These and many more facets make Lin a breeze to use on daily basis.

13. Eice

Eice Registered Member

That's odd, considering how I have everything I need (CPU/RAM/HDD usage, CPU temp, network ID/IP/encryption/signal strength, bandwidth, upload/download totals, system uptime) right on my Vista sidebar in two widgets, without having to install any software, much less pay for them.

14. Arup

Arup Guest

But then you are assuming everyone is on Vista. How bout other flavors of WIN.

15. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Even if you're using the 8-years-old WinXP, there's the Google Desktop sidebar (which I use as well), which I've configured to show all the things I mentioned, minus CPU temp - but that's because I didn't install the necessary software that XP needs to monitor that.

And while we're talking about XP, there's also this program I used years ago called Samurize (nope, you don't need to pay for it either ;)) that allows for all sorts of mind-boggling configs. Pretty similar to Conky, except that it comes with its own GUI config file editor. Another widget program is AveDesk (also free). And there's probably others out there as well.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  16. Eice

Eice Registered Member

For the rest of us, having to deal with an alien OS AND unproductive apps does eventually take its toll as well.

17. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

You're making an argument, i'm just asking a question.

These days i prefer to talk about specific problems/examples, not generalizations, on Linux/Windows discussions at least.
    I'm tired of endless discussions that lead nowhere, and i'm probably a bit more selfish. I want to read other opinions for myself (to learn what problems/solutions may exist) and whoever is on the same page as i am.

I think raaki's post was honest, so i asked for more feedback on his side.

Raakii
    , there are other solutions that accomplish the same basic functions, but not the same way, and perhaps not as "cute". Chroot, as chronomatic posted, is one such solution. There may be others, i never delved in that myself.
    However, my intention was actually for something more oriented towards productivity/work, not Shadow Defender stuff. Think accounting, ERP, office, statistics, or ordinary stuff like music, video, browsing.

18. tlu

tlu Guest

http://appdb.winehq.org/

19. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

What? You think Linux is being written by little green men?:eek: The OS is neither alien nor unproductive to those who have spent a little effort to break the MS monopoly.

But to the sheep who are happy to be part of to be part of the flock, I say have at it. My only question is, why are you here complaining if you are so happy with MS? It would appear your only purpose here is to act as a tr0ll.

20. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Not to get OT here, but examples asked for...

>$5,000 here worth of:
    Autodesk Revit Building
    AutoCAD
    PDF FormulaCAD (kazmierczak software)
    Digital Canal (Structural Engrg Softwares)
    StruCalc (Structural Design)
    BeamChek (Structural Design)
    REScheck (U.S. Department of Energy's Building Energy Codes Program)
    COMcheck (U.S. Department of Energy's Building Energy Codes Program)
    Delorme Street Atlas USA
    SketchUp Pro
    HCALC (Tahoe Design Software)
    TJ-Beam (iLevel Weyerhaeuser struct. design)
    And others...

I'm not mentioning all those other CD burning, Backup, Plot Spooler, Security, Download Mgr, etc. softs which may (or may not) have comparable Linux flavors.

Cheers

21. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Sure. Glad you're happy with it.

It would appear your only purpose here, as always, is to act as a rabid attack dog cum f4nb0i. It's sad, really, that to you your OS of choice is so devoid of virtues that to defend it you need to resort to constant personal attacks against other people. Good boy, here's a treat, now go bark at someone else.

22. Arup

Arup Guest

Everything you can do in Windows can be done in Linux, all you need to do is look, funny thing is I never see Mac owners complaining even though there are lots of stuff that Mac doesn't do that Win does.

Eice, with due respect, yours is an isolated case, for everyone who quits Lin due to a non functional hardware, there are many more who stick because either it works out of the box for them or they hand around and work out the solution.

23. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

You call me a rabid attack dog when it's you here the the Linux forum preaching the virtues of Windoze and not me in the Windoze forum preaching the virtues of Linux. Why don't you go bark in the Windoze forum and stop tr0lling here.

24. Arup

Arup Guest

25. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

There are AutoCAD alternatives for Linux.

As for all the DOE stuff, that will depend on the demand for such an app. I would wager that the number of people who need that stuff is less than 0.01%.

Give me an example of what CD burning related stuff that Windows can do that Linux can't.

Backup is built into Linux already. All you have to do is use the terminal. And if you can't use the terminal there are graphical apps that can get the job done. Furthermore, with the advent of future filesystems like btrfs, backups will be done on the fly.

:D Linux is not Windows, it doesn't need most of the third party security junk that Windows does. But, if you are really security conscious (or if you run a server or something) you can configure the kernel to utilize SELinux or PaX/Grsecurity. Windows cannot match a SELinux or PaX enabled kernel. In fact, M$ hired one of the top Linux kernel security developers in order to be a lead developer for M$. This means they knew they were getting crushed by *nix on the security front and they did what M$ always does, copy the other guys. Many of the extra security features of Vista are things *nix has been doing for many years (DAC and ASLR to name a couple).

LOL. I can see you have no experience in using Linux (or anything besides Windows).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.