Top 7 Reasons People Quit Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by tgell, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I would count you as on the edge, between the two. I think you need to try other Distro's (or stay with Intrepid, maybe 8.04 LTS) and see if you can find the right fit. There's plenty of good people willing to help.

If you decide that Linux isn't for you (at this time), fine and dandy.

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Wicd is a network manager. Works for me.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

4. rice4lunch

rice4lunch Registered Member

Definitely agree w/ #1 and 2.
    No good text-to-speech software. And clipboard-watch feature doesn't work when text-aloud is running on wine. So I had to manually copy and paste, then click on the speak button. which gets annoying after awhile.

5. Arup

Arup Guest

I haven't tried any text to speech but pidgin works good with the esound plugin and Stardict also works good with WyabdcRealPeopleTTS.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I have used it with success before also, when network manager wasn't working right. I can't remembe which distro, but I know wicd was good and solved my problem.

7. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I use Festival for the speech engine and KTTS in KDE as a front-end. It works rather well and has a number of voices to choose from in various languages.

8. Arup

Arup Guest

Same here and I see no difference between MS speech engines in terms of quality, you can also assign better voices to the engine by compiling them in if you need.

9. rice4lunch

I tried Festival a long time ago, it sounded really robotic compared to what I have from nextup's natural voice. Checked the site again today, and found one I can accept from the online demos. Will be trying it out... :)

10. Arup

Arup Guest

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=751169

Check this, allows far more range of voices than any MS program.

11. rice4lunch

very detailed link. thanks. :)
    Got any front end info?
    In need of one that have features like textaloud?
    -clipboard monitoring.
    -current text highlight.
    work on gnome if possible.
    thanks.

12. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Top 7 Reasons People Quit Linux ? Go to the linux haters blog and read hundreds of reasons why people hate linux. Read some of the articles, and especially the comments. I don't hate linux. I use mepis and linux mint. Don't go to the blog if graphic/and or obscene language upsets you. :) Linux Haters

13. ahriman

ahriman Registered Member

Mr2cents, thanks for the link to the blog. Lots of fun, and very funny. Bookmarked it.

14. Arup

Arup Guest

Cliboard monitoring is standard in Kubuntu, in Ubuntu just do sudo-apt-get install glipper

15. Arup

Arup Guest

Really amusing, this guy has too much time on his hands, so much rabid hatred for a free alternative that works. In his world everything should be mono, choice is bad, alternative doesn't exist. Thinking about it is bad. Everything should look same and universal and that includes humans, they should think same as well, kinda like one world, one religion, one language, what a fallacy.

16. Eice

Eice Registered Member

lolwtf? I almost got kicked out of the computer suite for laughing so hard at this entry. :D

17. Arup

Arup Guest

Of course for a OS which just markets itself by wrapping old stuff in new wrapper, this kind of envy is all but inevitable. ;)

18. I can give one good reason people quit Linux...

Hardware compatibility.

*glares at computer, which threw a kernel panic when I tried to suspend on Debian*

Really, though, if you ask me, I think Linux is a dead end. The future of the big server is DragonflyBSD; the future of the desktop is Windows 7. There's not really any room for Linux anywhere - it's not stable and secure enough for servers, and it doesn't have its act together on the desktop.

Of course, it works very well in some roles... Like Parted Magic, for instance, which I'm currently posting from.

19. Arup

Arup Guest

Lets see, all hardware work here......including cutting edge, ancient but excellent high end Yamaha sound card works here on latest Ubuntu, ZC301 cam has no Vistax64 support so if you have a functional web cam, you have to throw it away. Windows 7 with the same crud registry, ancient NTFS is the future, yeah right.

As for the server remark...........LINUX based on UNIX is unstable.............muuuuuuuuhaaaaaaaaaaahaaahaaaa LOLOLOLOL! I would end it at that, looks like someone has come over from the I Hate LINUX blog to spread some real FUD.

20. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Linux supports more hardware than Windows does.

BSD is already huge in the server arena and has been for many, many years. You will get no argument from me that BSD is a great server OS. BSD can also be used on the desktop, but it is much more difficult to get working than Linux is (especially when it comes to multimedia stuff).

Not stable enough? Why is it that Linux servers can run for years without reboots? There are many documented cases of this. Why does Google run its servers on Linux?

Not secure enough? Granted I am not going to argue that most Linux distros are as secure as OpenBSD out of the box, but have you seen OpenBSD's default install? It's so bare bones that it is practically useless, even for servers.

And Linux can easily be made pretty damn secure (even for governments) by configuring some kernel options like SELinux, or by using kernel patches like PaX and grsecurity. Red Hat/Fedora has SELinux enabled by default, as well as various memory protections like ASLR, exec-shield, etc. That's about as secure as you're going to get for a non-microkernel OS that actually has functionality. I would put Linux with PaX and Grsecurity up against Trusted Solaris or Trusted BSD any day.

21. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Hardware support can be painful !

Just look at all the network cards that only work through NDIS wrapper.

I had a 5 port usb adaptor that would only run at usb1 speeds under Linux, even though it detected as a usb2 device (luckily I do not need this anymore).
    My old home server had intel 830i chipset that did not have all its features supported, even on Ubuntu 8.04 just before the machine went to the grave, power saving did not work without fiddling (caused machine to freeze going into any kind of powersaving)
    The onboard graphics card was broken (caused machine to freeze using 3d and sometimes restoring from suspend) due to configuration regression bug (intels own open source driver) and required manual configuration of Xorg.

What information are you basing your statement that Linux is "not stable and secure enough for servers" ?

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Linux haters blog is an execellent read LOL.
    I have noticed flash does seem to have issues on linux but i have no idea who's fault it is.
    java crashs alot to but then again the same version crashes alot on windows as well.

I also want some evidence to why Gullible Jones thinks linux isnt secure enough for servers and not reliable.

23. Arup

Arup Guest

Java x64 is in Jaunty repo and it works flawlessly with FF and Opera. Also Alpha Flash10x64 from Adobe works fine here so far as long as your video drivers are up to date. I have no issues with full screen flash movies. Also if using nvidia cars its advised to use mplayer and gnome player with vdpau extension enabled, this puts all graphic load on the video card instead of software rendition and it runs HD movies with no tearing or jerking.

24. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

"If I ask you ..." - GOTCHA! Casual opinion based on personal observation's fine by me. It's not like you're a self-proclaimed expert.

25. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Less software base for linux when compared to windows is a major reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.