Top 5 Security Threats of 2005

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by TheLegend, Oct 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLegend

TheLegend Registered Member

your top five!

Hi guys,

Just wondering which in your opinion have been the biggest security breaches of 2005. :D

2. Rollo

Rollo Registered Member

Certainly on my list would be the Mastercard fiasco where the details of nearly 40 million account holders where accessed by a third party. Another on my list would probably be the rise in Phising attacks, especially since Katrina!

So what do you think should be on the list for the top 5 security threats of 2005?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  3. How about top 5 most hyped up threats in 2005?

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I would say that "Lottery Scam Emails" (and other phishing emails) is one of them.
    The organized criminals behind these emails earned hundreds of million dollars world-wide and they still make a profit.

But what bothers me the most is that the user and only the user is responsible, that spam-emails still exist.
    Isn't the user supposed to fight against the bad guys in stead of keeping them alive ?
    All these spammers/scammers are millionaires and the user is the only one who makes them rich.

I don't even open my spam-emails even when the subject line makes me very curious.
    I configured my Thunderbird in such a way, that only opening and closing Thunderbird (two clicks) is enough to get rid of all my spam-emails in a few seconds.
    That's my way to fight against spammers/scammers : IGNORE and DELETE. Simple, effective and effortless.

IMO it would be a big help, when each email-software had an eye-catching banner, with at least one link that refers to a website, where the user can read the real truth about spam-emails as a warning for newbies and credulous users, because these users are often victims of scams and they don't know how bad internet can be.
    Once the user doesn't need the banner, he can turn it off.

Meanwhile, I keep on writing posts in my other Free Lotto Forum to save these credulous people (world-wide) from being scammed and sometimes it's too late and I have to end my post with an approperiate smiley :'(

5. 666

666 Guest

Top 5 Security Threats of 2005

1. Internet Explorer
    2. MS Windows (all versions)
    3. George W. Bush
    4. Symantec
    5. Plate tectonics

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.