Top 10 Reasons I’ll Never Use Ubuntu

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Arup, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

2. tlu

tlu Guest

Re: Top 10 Reasons I’ll Never Use Ubuntu

Haha - and, yes, there are too many GUI's. :D

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Well I'll have to agree. Hee hee :D

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Good one Arup... :thumb: :D

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Read it a few days ago ... I like it, but I think it has an adverse result on non-Ubuntu users. Kind of like Macology. All hail great master Steve. People who have not tried Ubuntu will take those who have as a bunch of snobs.
    Mrk

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Even though there are some pompous Linux users trying to act superior because of the reason that their OS is secure over others, the title of having snob users goes exclusively to Mac users alone.

7. Mrkvonic

My bad, I take my words back :)
    Mrk

8. Arup

Arup Guest

Mrk, you raise a very good point, we can never alienate new users or scare them away from Ubunutu. However due to human nature, some of us Linux users exactly end up doing so by being overtly critical of other OS or trying to push it too aggressively. When someone asks me about Linux my first question is are you into gaming, in case the answer is yes, I tell them, Linux is not yet ready for you, plain and simple. My next question is that do you want replacements for MS programs, again if the answer is yes, Linux is not ready for you. Linux has alternates but not replacements for MS programs, of course there is WINE which now seems to work better but then we are trying to scare the potential user with complexity he or she isn't ready for.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think in general, Linux and particularly Ubuntu, has bent over backwards to make itself appealing to Win users. I don't know what else could be done really, except to continue on the same course..

10. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't make allowances for the legal strictures that Ubuntu faces. Ubuntu is prohibited from loading "restricted" drivers in the LiveCD. Nor can Ubuntu furnish all of the codecs needed to play all video formats.

This isn't a technical problem. It is a legal one. There are teams of lawyers out there just waiting for Ubuntu to make a misstep. So its kind of stupid for critics to say "Ubuntu stinks because it doesnt' handle my nVidea chipset properly. Don't blame Ubuntu. It is nVidea that refuses to license its drivers under the current GPL.

Distros like Mint and SuperUbuntu can afford to thumb their noses at the lawyers for the simple reason that their "pockets" aren't "deep" enough to make it worthwhile for anyone to sue them. That is NOT true of Conical.(sp?) Everyone and his brother would just love to sue them.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  11. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Funny, but I am going to play Devil's advocate here ;) - tongue and cheek.

1. Don't forget costs of support and time and retraining (if coming from a different OS) and the amount you are going to spend in buying Penguin badges and T shirts.

2. With hideous themes... I've tried lots of themes and there's so many that even if they look good in the screenshots, look terrible on screen.

3. Fun. Hmm I'm trying to find a negative here, because I could say Linux is harder upfront, especially with the command line, but then when windows goes wrong it can be equally as hard to fix, I mean equally as fun :D

4. Isn't that what Debian is for ?

5. ... Once you get past all the fan boys, or people trying to install Ubuntu on their ipods, or people who tell you to go use Arch/Gentoo which is as much use as sudo rm -rf / . Still its better than being told that the only way you will be supported is if you reformat your drive and install the OS from scratch and don't install anything else.

6. And by the time you finished looking through all the different apps, a new release of the distro is out, so you then have to look at all the apps again !

7. Yes but why does my branded lan card only come with generic realteck drivers ?

8. Yeah, but Windows allows you to unobtrusively donate you computer to botnets.

9. Don't you just hate being stared at for being different ?

10. If your being too productive you should be using commandline.

:D

12. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Mint provides 2 versions, 1 for people who know they can legally download the full distro, and a version without these codecs and proprietary stuff .
    Which IMHO is a sensible option for a smaller distro that probably can't afford lawyers of such expertise.

13. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

If Linux is more secure than windows, why does the U.S Military refuse to adopt Linux as their defacto OS?
    They claim that the community patching, n number of unknown people, makes Linux unsafe for security reasons.

14. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Do you really think security is the only decision when it comes to OS use? Usually, it's one of the least concerns. First and foremost, money and support and the ability of local technical personnel to cope. If a military organization does not have enough manpower and expertise to use an OS, they won't.

Besides, there's a difference between public-oriented networks and private, internal networks, with local login only, ancient UNIX terminals and whatnot.

Mrk

15. Eice

Eice Registered Member

If the US military really does openly advertise which OS they're using, it looks like I've been giving them too much credit.

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I swear when I use Linux. I save at least 5-10 hrs a week. No security scans & no defragging & no chasing updates of installed programs.

Right now on Vista64 I installed a newer version of KIS which I think is the best of the best security suites for Doz. But the 1st scan which is always the longest is estimated to take 2 3/4hrs. None of that in Linux.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    As more and more people use linux it will be targetted and extra security mesures will be needed. You wont need to worry about program updates thanks to the amazing things called package managers!

tbh i do sometimes get bored with fedora it does just work;d
    the one issue i had seems to have beeen fixed.
    plus i miss the proper WLM (windows live messenger) closest thing i found for linux was amsn and i dont like it that much tbh.

18. tlu

tlu Guest

I doubt that. The fact that no Linux user is logged on as root, and that 99% of all software are from the repositiories will make attacks not worthwile. Aside from that, extra security measures (like AppArmor) are already available.

Practically all attacks so far were targeteing Linux servers that had not been updated for a long time and therefore had security leaks. Attacking an up-to-date Linux is nearly impossible, IMHO.

The only serious threat I'm expecting are attacks on repositories. There was a hacking attempt for the Red Hat/Fedora network last year.

19. Mrkvonic

I agree with tlu. The inherent security of the unix/linux principle makes the whole security thingie rather boring. That's what you get when MIT geeks make an os versus ... uh-oh, where did Ballmer go to school :) ??
    Mrk

20. Arup

Arup Guest

Unix has been around way before anything, Linux today is used in Enterprise level server far more than others so Linux has been the target of hackers, its just that its inherent design combined with its policies that have managed to keep it secure plus you never hear of a ten year old unpatched bug in a Linux ;)

21. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

First I am not against Ununtu.
    I dislike the (IMHO) built in bugs in Windows.

I am a programmer and if asked why I am still using Windows my answer would be.
    When I work, I want the mouse to replace ALL the "SUDO" and the rest of it. I should
    not have to memorize 50,000 commands line options.
    SO, I am only using Ubuntu for Email and on line browsing.
    Due to the command line thing I'll probably never be able to completely rid myself of Windows.

22. Eice

Eice Registered Member

You're a programmer, but you can't live with the command prompt?

Heck, my programming is rusty (forgot all my syntaxes already), but even I work using cmd.exe sometimes in Windows. It's quicker and easier sometimes for searching files, or launching multiple programs as admin because all I have to do is elevate privileges for one program.

23. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Personally, I think this is self-selecting. People who even bother to use Linux are mostly likely geeks themselves and already know how to protect themselves anyway, so saying that Linux users are not as susceptible to attacks is rather redundant.

Smart Windows users create a limited account, and download software only from trusted sources - such as Download.com - just like Linux users do. A more useful comparison might be between Linux users, and Windows users who know what they're doing.

24. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Another myth. You can use Ubuntu and never have to open a terminal. Some things may be easier using a terminal but you don't have to do so.

I will admit that, as a programmer myself, I still use VB6 to write a lot of stuff. But that's primarily because I'm a very old dog that doesn't want to learn new tricks. If I were younger, I'd make the effort to learn python, perl and other cross platform languages.

And that, BTW, is what is going to finally push Open Source over the top. The current generation of programmers are all being taught to program using platform independent tools. That means that eventually businesses won't be locked into using Windows because the software they depend on was written using Windows only tools.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  25. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Another myth. I live in a retirement community with about 500 other elderly people and a set my neighbors up with Ubuntu systems on a regular basis. I won't do that with Windows because it I get too many calls to rid the system of malware.

I do have one neighbor who won't get rid of her Windows XP but she keeps a thumb drive with Linux on it to plug in whenever her grandchildren come to visit. They are no longer allowed to use Windows on it because they infected it too many times in the past. They have never managed to mess up Ubuntu.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.