Top 10 Anti-Virus products

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Technodrome, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Having an excellent AV such as NAV is not enough, most folks don't practice safe hex. I'm amazed at how many idiots surf all over the net, downloading games, and then complain that NAV did not stop the Adware and Spyware, sheeeesh. :doubt:

Acadia

2. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Home market is just about the same. It more or less belongs to top 3, that’s if we are talking about worldwide and not by regions markets.

tECHNODROME

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

No surprise to me, at least the # 1 and 2. Just enter a shop and you only see the yellow and red boxes.

Gerard

4. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

why do they make norton so powerfull for home userso_O??

and lighter for coprate useo_O??

and i can say that KAV antivirus pro is better than symantec coprate edition

5. webmedic

webmedic Registered Member

just curious how much info you can get into here a
    yes that would be a big plus. if kav was up further. Nod32 also

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Red as in McAfee or Red as in Trend Micro or Red as in ArcaVir :D? LOL

EDIT:- Maybe Red as in BitDefender ROFL :D

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  7. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Those top 3 are for sure these in corporate and home use too, but these are for sure out of the top 10 in home use,

4. Sophos 3,6
    6. Sybari 2,1%
    8. F-Secure 1,4%
    10.Norman 0,9%

Such free av:s as AVG, Avast and maybe AntiVir too, are very common nowadays in home PC use. This year China has 120 million internet users.

http://www.corante.com/goingglobal/...0_million_internet_users_in_china_in_2005.php

China is the third largest market, just after European Union and USA. I wonder, which av:s do they use in China?

http://www.internetworldstats.com/top20.htm

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

8. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

All,
    I feel pretty good this "paper" indicates multi-layer approach is what should happen going forward something I've always said was the best approach, others here have suggested as well. This outfit is pretty respected for its research.

By the way I never heard of Command AV except from here at the Wilders. Purchased it and love it. No ads anywhere that I know of on that one. :doubt:

10. Diver

Diver Registered Member

The popularity of an AV product is only important to the stakeholders of the company that makes the product.

On one Russian survey (don't ask where I saw it) KAV was the most used AV, and far ahead of Dr.Web.

The factors that have held back otherwise good AV products from gaining market share:
    Lack of marketing skills at geek oriented small companies.
    Excessive false alarms.
    Complex interfaces.
    Market resistance in the US to products from Russia and eastern Europe.

Kaspersky has beeen addressing the interface issue with its newest products, sometimes to the concern of its existing base of users.

Eset seems to have discovered marketing.

Just wait and watch when MS hits the market with an AV. It will be number 1 in sales within a year, like it or not.

11. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

lets just hop that KAV next antivirus 6.0 will have a more user friendly interface better protection faster and more stable. And hopefully work gets out on this and ppl will change from norton to KAV :D

12. Firecat

The current betas are faster and have better protection. KAV6 is a major release for them, KAV5 had no REAL features from KAV 4.5 apart from speed and interface, but lots of new features are there in KAV6 so it is going to be a very important release. :)

13. AndreyKa

AndreyKa Registered Member

I think in Russia KAV uses as much as Dr.Web.
    http://voter.land.ru/view.php?pl=14802
    Reason is there match more PC made in last century. :)

14. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

A real pity if this is indeed the case. A lack of marketing muscle may be the main reason.
    It has done this to compete with the big boys and to expand its existing base from 'security-conscious' users to average users.
    This is because it is pitched mainly at the Corporate market as you can tell from their website.
    This will be the big market in the future and so look out for the their 'Home' AV products topping the lists soon.
    KAV 5 has a much more user-friendly interface than KAV 4.5 and IMO, most of the other well-known commercial AV's.
    Better protection than? KAV is the AV with the best overall malware protection. Further, it has run without any slowdown and been very stable on all of my systems here.
    Unfortunately this is unlikely in the Corporate field, where marketing muscle counts in the long run. And in the Home, only those of us interested in computer security, visiting forums, can name AV's outside of Norton, McAfee and possibly Trend. Most 'average' users think that Norton and McAfee are the only AV products available!!!!!!

Thanks for posting, AndreyKa. Very interesting results. Are these results for the Corporate field? I have seen data similar to Diver's claim, where Kaspersky's market share in Russia was given as 70%.

15. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

Wow I knew there were a lot of clueless people out there, but almost 40% running Norton? Thats pathetic.

But then again, Norton has brainwashed the masses into thinking they aren't safe unless they use a Symantec product. When you walk into Best Buy, all you see is people walking out with "Symantec" products like proud warriors off to fight a cyberwar.

When essentially every poweruser I know, considers Symantec mediocre at best. But hey, let the sheep be sheep.

16. Firecat

McAfee:- "We are the Red Guard"
    Trend Micro:- "Japanese technology powers our Army"
    Symantec:- "Yellow Matrix, Viruses=No Chance In Hell"

17. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

hahaha noooo Kaspersky is your Red Guard :p

18. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yeah, Symantec is very mediocre, after all here http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/ they are the ONLY anti-virus to go for over 5 years now with a perfect record and here http://www.av-comparatives.org/ where the Feb 2005 results speaks for itself. Who would ever want a piece of junk with THAT record on their system?

Hmmm, isn't it interesting the way we mostly argue for the AV that we ourselves are using; does that mean that we are all simply on ego trips?! :rolleyes:

Acadia

19. Firecat

Look the best AV is Brain AV, nothing can beat that no matter HOW hard you try!

20. Firecat

NO YOU ARE WRONG!

Kaspersky is my ELITE GUARD!!!! :D

21. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

LOL, pretty good, StyleWarz...... :D

22. Firecat

As I said Don Kaspersky is my ELITE GUARD :D

23. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Ok then, Elite Red Guard then :p They protect our president ;) :D

24. Firecat

:D:D:D

25. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Well, if it's good enough for the President, then it's good enough for me..... :cool: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.