tooooooooooooooo much time to backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ramesh19, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramesh19

ramesh19 Registered Member

hi all,
    I am using TI 10. I did backup before twice- full and each one is 20GB. It took me 1 hr approximately via windows and with validation.

I installed Zonealarm Internet security suite and uninstalled CA anti-virus and firewall. I also installed Adaware Pro so adwatch gives realtime protection against malware.

Yesterday I tried the backup again just as I said in the beginning, it took 7 hrs for the same 20GB.

Does zonealarm or adaware have any effect, I don't have any other softwares installed recently.

any thoughts?

thanks.

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You need to make all the Acronis processes allowed in ZA or it will keep scanning them when you run them. It can slow things down terrifically.

3. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Short answer is YES they have an effect.

Long answer is:

1) Adware real time not a good idea to have with ZA suite, remove /uninstall Adware or disable the Adware real time function.

2) Must be careful not to backup the ATI archives as that is backing up the backups

3) As advised set ZA not to scan any of the ATI archives or any other security software folders you may have.

4) Sounds like you may need a general PC tune up of register and do a defrag

Hope these steps help you.

PS: Back up any critical files before doing anything!

4. ramesh19

thank you shieber,
    I think that is what happening. I checked ZA Internet security suite. But I couldn't find a way on, how to let ATI run without this scanning etc. Please explain if you know how to configure this.
    But again what I don't understand is, when I had CA, it is also antivirus and firewall security suite. The backup took only one hr.

Escalader,
    I didn't understand two points:
    1. adaware: i didn't see any incompatibilities between adaware and ZA. Please point me to the info and I want to know more on this.
    2. I am not backing up backups. I am doing disk images and i was pointing to the time it is taking on two different occasions.
    thanks.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  5. Escalader

ZA has real time protection, Adware Pro has it as well see attached jpg image. They will clash possible conflicts even nullifying effects

Use one or the other not both, adware not as effective as it once was use only for on demand scanning at best.

On ZA scanning, you need to read the user and help guides and find out how your ZA version can be told to skip scanning ati images, usually it is done by entering the directory(s) where images are kept or by the ati extensions to skip.

I'm glad you aren't backing up backups.

Attached Files:

6. ramesh19

thanks for clarifying. I try to enter .tib to exclude scanning.

one more question: ZA has antispyware realtime protection. I will turn off adwatch. How about windows defender, spywareblaster as I am running them also.

thanks.

7. Escalader

You are correct ZA does have ASW.

Good turn off Adware real time as suggested.

On Windows's defender again it is a potential conflict and I never saw it "find" or prevent anything.

ZA does "best" when it controls the roost!

But, spyblaster is fine, it seems to play well with all tools I have ever used.

The best way for secondary security or on demand IMHO is to use the major company web sites for on demand scans.

That way you don't have to load the tools or buy them thus getting the second opinion with zero conflict.

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Check out the Zone Alarm forums:

http://forum.zonealarm.com/zonelabs

Zone Alarm doesn't really participate but htere are a few helpful folks among the mavens there.

They can help you with exclusions best. I swore off using ZA last year and don't recall exactly how to set up exclusions. I just recall that it was very easy once you learned the steps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.