Toolwiz Time Machine

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by majoMo, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waters

waters Registered Member

I had big problems with CTM when i tried it ,i ended up paying for rollback and it runs fine.

2. littleturle

littleturle Registered Member

If you check their tech carefully, you can find which one is stable and useful.

CTM is a kind of "redirect on write". With CTM, if You install a Office 2013 in your system, Office 2013 does not really exist in your disk. the Office 2013 are redirected to a cache as many sectors. Only CTM engine knows how these sectors can be map into the normal files. CTM needs to Hook your MBR and boot loader to always keep the redirect relation. Any issue like BSOD/SSD Trim may make your disk damged.

TTM is a kind of "backup on write", If you installed a Office 2013, Office 2013 is there forever. You can uninstalll/stop the TTM any time.

3. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Interesting explanation indeed, CTM related. Thanks for that, littleturle.

Following your useful reasoning, can I imply that if CTM is uninstalled Office 2013 is not functional anymore?

4. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

I believe that CTM uses a methodology like that of Rollback Rx - in fact it's rumored to be a knockoff of Rollback Rx v8. ;)

Assuming that it does work in the same way, when you choose to uninstall it you are given the opportunity to specify which snapshot you wish to survive upon uninstalling (it's most common to choose the current snapshot). So using littleturle's example, Office 2013 would survive after uninstalling IF it existed in the snapshot you chose to uninstalled to (along with everything else which existed in that snapshot while CTM was operational).

TS

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  5. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ The Shadow, thanks for your clarification!

It is appreciated.

;)

6. The Shadow

You're welcome - but understand that the CTM & Rx types of snapshot apps bring about a new understanding (and inconveniences) in making image-backups! Since that's a vital function you better 'bone-up' on this subject if you decide to use CTM (or Rx). o_O

TS

7. littleturle

Agree, but you DO NOT always have a chance to uninstall the CTM correctly. I have issue with CTM many times and my system can not boot after uninstalled the CTM. I think it did not get my old MBR back.

All this kind of virtualization need to take care all the "Bypass" operation to keep their "unstable" redirect engine. Many things like VSS, TRIM, Hibernation, BSOD Dump, Defrag, Virus attack(They can remove your hook or use direct SCSI write command), Bad Coding will make them crash easily.

If they just crash one time, the LV product like SD will be OK, becasue they need not to keep the redirect logic after reboot. But for the one like CTM, RX, that will be a nightmare. If you know how difficult to restore a crash database with their log, you will know this.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  8. The Shadow

No arguement from me LT - I was simply replying to majoMo's questions. Last year I experienced a serious system crash caused by Rollback Rx and were it not for my disk-image backup my system would have been unrecoverable. As a consequence I discontinued using Rollback Rx forever.

That's why I mentioned (to mojoMo) the importance of image backups especially if using CTM/Rx, and the paradox in that it takes different imaging 'rules' when using CTM/Rx, etc.

TS

9. littleturle

CTM/Rx are the enhanced version of Light Virtualization. They use same tech and ideas. That is why so many reports about the unrecoverable issue.

10. The Shadow

I don't think the word 'enhanced' is appropriate, but I know what you mean. ;)

11. littleturle

They both use same tech to implement the virtualization - Redirect Any Write Opertion to a Cache. LV just discard the things in the Cache after Reboot. CTM/Rx will keep the things in the cache until user restore system to one point.

Before, these kind of softwares ware called instant recovery software. If you are the partner of Tony, you can ask if he worked for this kind of company in china.

12. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Very good observations that enlight the use for these type of app. done by The Shadow and littleturle. Thanks for that.

Two reasons why I like to use SandboxIE, Toolwiz Time Freeze and Toolwiz Time Machine:
    - They don't mess with MBR;
    - They allows to not use AV, HIPS based app., Anti-EXE's software - that are to me an annoying behaviour.
    - T. Time Machine has over CTM & RX types of snapshot these advantage: a) don't mess with MBR; b) Allows to use image software (Macrium and Redo Backup & Recovery) without annoyances;
    - T. Time Machine allows to protect my PC between images (e.g. to try software that needs to reboot, to see how some registry tricks could afect PC performance, etc.). I don't want to use it to replace my Images app. at all.

Said that, it always crucial to know how TTM works in their type of snapshot virtualization; e.g.: I defragged my System drive with MyDefrag (in Safe Mode) and after that all snapshots of TTM gone away with their Snapshot Engine left working (needs to begin it then).
    It's a well known issue that to defrag needs to be with caution when this kind of software is installed.

13. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

majoMo,

You make some valid points. However, while I have no objections to the way TTF performs I do object to TTM's serious design flaw regarding the restoring of snapshots. This has been discussed before, but bears repeating.

When you restore your system with TTM to a prior snapshot, you lose all subsequent snapshots! While Toolwiz would claim this is by design in order to retain simplicity, imho it essentially defeats the usefulness of an instant-snapshot type of program.

For example, one of the most useful features of an instant-snapshot program is the ability to install a new or updated app (especially one that requires a system restart) so that you can try it and then return to the time and system state that existed before you installed the app without losing your newly updated system state. Unfortunately, TTM does not accommodate this.

Cruise

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  14. The Shadow

While that may be true, TTM partially satisfies that 'try a new app' feature. It's just that once you try the new app you must decide to either keep it or discard it (by restoring the previous snapshot - before you installed the new app). You just don't have the luxury of going back and forth between prior and current system states. Toolwiz's explanation is that (limitation) was for the very same reason they do not provide disaster recovery media with TTM ...to retain simplicity and after all, it is freeware! ;)

-----
    Edit: And I would be remiss not add that by its very design TTM is a heck of a lot safer than CTM/Rx, et al.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  15. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

Agree with all of the above, and yes, it is easy to use.

BUT, there are issues with disappearing snapshots (reported to developer) and a cache that keeps on growing when the software is not in use.

I think it is a good partial solution (and free) to taking the risks with Comodo TM or paying Rollback prices

Terry

16. The Shadow

Let's not forget that TTM is a Beta after all, so bugs are to be expected (and should be reported to Toolwiz Support).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  17. Boost

Boost Registered Member

*****THIS*****

I also had the same issue:"cache that keeps on growing when the software is not in use."

18. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I had the same issue along with disappearing snapshots. Overall though I like where this software is headed, it needs to fix at least those 2 items before I give it another chance. I like the simplicity of it along with the clean UI.

19. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

I can confirm that my problem of increasing cache size was also accompanied by loss of snapshots when the cache size equals total cache.

I reported it to the developer but no reply yet.

I have removed Time Machine because I cannot rely on snapshots being retained.

Terry

20. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Appreciated for share with us such experience. I didn't know what will happen when total cache is full.

I think that TTM is working in background through system kernel level ("hipsflt.sys"/"ToolwizTM.sys" driver files), even when their GUI is closed. It's why you can not delete "ToolwizTM.cah" file.

21. littleturle

Yes, I think TTM is working via the kernel engine, not a Win32 GUI.

Maybe these users who have increasing cache issue, you should try some utitly like Process Monitor to check which APPs are eating your disk/cache in the background.

22. littleturle

Which one do you think is better than this solution? Please give me a list and reason.

As another single developer team, I think Toolwiz James is much better than many other ones. Just check how many freewares he made last year and how quickly he reply for any support email. I have sent 10+ emails to James for the TTM testing and he replied me more than 15 time last week. :thumb:

Added: one report for Toolwiz team in chinese - http://www.36kr.com/p/177228.html, one full time developer + 2 part time guys(twins who have Congenital hemophilia and they never leave their room for many years) = Toolwiz team. I like what they said in the interview No shareware, No investment, No Donation, just for a dream.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  23. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

After reading that as best i could, all I can say is James and the Toolwiz team; you have my respect.:thumb:

24. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

This has just happened to me, too. My cache got filled up, and the result seemed to be that all snapshots were lost. I know it's beta and was aware of the risks, so for now, it's goodbye to TTM until this is resolved, I'm afraid.

25. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

And let me add my deep admiration - I'm in total awe of James' team!!!

Cruise

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.