Too many immunizations?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr45, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr45

acr45 Registered Member

I have SpywareBlaster's, Spybot S&D, and Spyware Doctor's immunization against all known threats feature all turned on. Is this going to cause an overlap? Will one program cancel out the other?

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Yes cancellation of some items will happen. Since some programs have the same definitions.

3. acr45

acr45 Registered Member

What's your opinion on which one's should remain active. I disabled Spyware Doctor's immunization so only spybot S&D and spywareblaster are left. Keep the two or just narrow it down to just one?

4. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

Spybot 1.5s' immunization seems to have some conflict with spywareblasters' immunization, at least for me. When i run SpywareBlaster it takes a minute or 2 for it to check firefoxes immunization.

At a guess, I'd say that SpywareBlaster's immunization would cover more items, but I have no evidence either way.

I use both, and other than the slowdown I mentioned in SpywareBlaster, I haven't noticed any problems.

As Cheater has said, there will be some overlap, so I'd recommend running the one you keep again, just to make sure everything is protected.

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I'd keep SpyWare Blaster.
    Unless Spybot has more immunizations than SpyWare Blaster now.

6. Tokar

Tokar Registered Member

Well, dont be fooled by SpyBot's numbers.

SpyBot will say 32000+ for IE alone, 37000 for a PC with FF installed...maybe more by now.
    The number of actual UNIQUES is somewhere in the neighborhood of 6700-6900, 5500 of which are domains added to the restricted zone of your browser and HOSTS.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

But what protects you against the unknown threats ?

8. StevieE9

StevieE9 Registered Member

SpyWare Blaster is nothing like the other two and shouldn't be grouped together. It merely inserts kill bits into the registry on start up and is no longer active. It can be kept on a system alongside anything else.

SpyBot S&D is not really active real time protection of any significance and its 'TeaTimer' advanced option is resource hogging.

**SpywareDoctor is probably the main real-time protection you have and is fine. It will come down to personal opinion whether it is good compared to the paid versions of ASquared, SuperAntiSpyware, CounterSpy, AVG AntiSpyware or SpySweeper.

A totally *free* alternative with 'behaviour' protection is Comodo BO Clean.

Bottom line is none of the programs from ** downwards should be real-time active at the same time on your system because of a risk of conflict.

9. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I used to be the same way immunizing everything from various programs. I have gone down to using only Spyware Blaster and Advanced Windows Care V2. They seem to work well together.

dja2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.