Too many firewalls?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Hiker, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

I have DSL through ATT with a Motorola 2210 modem that has firewall and a Netgear WGR614 wireless router along with Comodo PF v3.14

The modems settings are high, medium, low off, the router only appears to have blocking services but says it has a true firewall.

Does having a bridge ethernet make a difference? Should I turn off the modem router?

2. Syncman9

Syncman9 Registered Member

If everything is connected to the router, then you don't need the firewall on the modem as the router will perform that task for you.

3. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Hi, running the motorola in bridged mode is the preferred way when using another router.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15817

NOTE: Step 4 may vary a little if you have a newer model 2210.
    hope this helps.

4. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

It's actually set up without the bridged mode since I need to call ATT for the modem password and I don't feel like spending the time today on the phone. Since the wireless and ethernet connection work I'll hold off on calling ATT.

Thanks for the link!

5. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Thanks, I'll turn that one off.

Added: Well that didn't work very well. I turned off the modem firewall and got all closed ports checking on the Shields Up page. Turned back on to medium, all stealth.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.