Tony Klein's *.ghst file Vs. *.gsr file

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by NormanS, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NormanS

NormanS Registered Member

Sometime back, I installed TonyKlein.ghst and have now downloaded Tony0529.zip, in the expectation that it would be an update of TonyKlein.ghst; but Tony0529.zip, upon unzipping, turns out to be Tony.gsr, a file with a different extension; what do I do with it?

2. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

hey norman.. i don't know what "GHST" file you are referring to, but the "tony.gsr" file is an updated ruleset for "regdefend".. you just paste the file in the regdefend-folder and then adjust the settings in RD to use that ruleset..

maybe something is mixed up..maybe the file that you downloaded before actually was a "tony.gsr" file..

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Hi Norman, the original Tony.ghst file was, as you know, a group of rules you imported into your 'Standard' ruleset to expand its coverage.

The new Tony.gsr file, on the other hand, is a complete ruleset that you use instead of the Standard ruleset. What you need to do is disable RD from the drop-down box in the upper R.H. corner of the GUI and close the GUI. Then you navigate to C:\Program Files\GhostSecuritySuite (if you are using the standalone version!) and copy & paste the .gsr file there. Finally, when you bring up the GUI you will be able to select the new ruleset from the drop-down box. Naturally you can rename the .gsr file to something else if you wish.

The new Tony ruleset has greatly expanded coverage and will give far superior protection when compared to the default Standard ruleset (even with both the Tony and Kent/Regrun .ghst files added).

4. NormanS

Hi TopperID,

Thanks for your reply, but I need a little help with it; let me first clarify that I'm running Ghost Security Suite [BETA] v1.110.

You say, "disable RD from the drop-down box in the upper R.H. corner of the GUI", but my GSS GUI has no drop-down box in the upper R.H. corner; instead, it has the minimize, open, and close buttons/boxes, but no DROP-DOWN box. The close button closes the GUI for ALL the GSS content: Home, Logs, AppDefend, and RegDefend, but it DOES NOT shut down RegDefend.

Next issue: After I copy & paste the Tony.gsr
    to the GhostSecuritySuite folder, do I leave the rdstandard.gsr there too, or do I delete it?

Lastly: You say, "...when you bring up the GUI you will be able to select the new ruleset from the drop-down box", but I do not see any drop-down box; instead, I see on the left panel two folders: one is labeled "Global Registry Rules" and the other one is labeled "Application Rules"; the first folder contains Auto Starts, etc (to my dismay, it does not list TonyKlein... perhaps I forgot to add it back in the last time I updated RegDefend).

The upper right panel of RegDefend Configuration has buttons for Add Group and Import Group. Is one of these buttons to be used in installing Tony.gsr?

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

There is no harm in leaving that rdstandard.gsr ruleset and there is no harm in removing that rdstandard.gsr ruleset since the Tony.gsr is a "very comprehensive one, incorporating the original standard RD gsrfile and adding monitoring of a great number of additional well- and lesser known autostart and hijack points."

To select a ruleset or disable rule sets....open the program and select the Home tab along the top left portion of the open GUI window and using the down arrow circled in pic below....select the ruleset you wish to use....Tony or RDStandard. Select <DISABLED> when you wish to temporarily disable the rules.

Bubba

Attached Files:

6. NormanS

WOW BUBBA!
    You rock with your graphic help. Many, many thanks. This is a dream come true; perhaps better than a tutorial, which I have sorely wished for.

Now I see how to protect NOD32, ClipMate, CCleaner, and many other programs I use. From them I should learn how to handle programs not on the list.

My Global Registry Rules seem to be the same; are they?

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You are very Welcome and the online Ghost Security Suite Helpfile! has a section on RegDefend but be advised the pics shown represent what would be seen in the stand alone RegDefend not what you see in Ghost Security Suite. However....the explanation of creating rules and what not is the same.

When you say "My Global Registry Rules" are you meaning the default RDStandard :doubt:

If so....Tony's Global Registry Rules has an extra group called Security - Policies and the other 6 groups contain numerous more rules not contained in the default RDStandard ruleset.

Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.