Today's Giveaway of the Day

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgoodman4, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Giveaway of the Day - Streaming Video Recorder 2.0.7

Now everyone can record any online streaming videos on the desktop! Streaming Video Recorder just helps you record all social videos on the Internet; so you can easily download online TV shows, Web episodes, and streaming movies through various video sharing sites, or streaming networks, such as YouTube, Metacafe, MySpace, Dailymotion, MegaVideo, and Internet TV like NBC, CBS, BBC, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never used this sort of software before but figured what the heck, I would give it a try. Very easy to use. I spent about 1 min on the "how to use" documentation and then turned the program on, started a u-tube video, and the program did the rest. It finished doing whatever it does and I hit convert and sat back and waited. The program finished converting and opened the folder the converted file was in, I double clicked and off it went playing in Windows media player.

Very nice. I will be keeping this one. ---- One question, is the program recording the video or downloading it. If downloading it I would imagine there is a danger of downloading malware. If this is true would the conversion proces kill the malware or not? Is there a program that records videos as opposed to downloading them that would circumvent this sort of problem? I view u-tube in a sandbox but would prefer not having to watch videos that have been obtained from the net in a sandbox. Also I would probably give copies to others via disk and would not want to expose their systems by doing so.

2. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I looked at this but already have Download Helper, a Firefox add-on, and it has done a good job so far. I keep an eye on this thread to see if someone sites a reason to switch to SVR 2.0.7.

Thanks for the heads-up!

On your last question, I can't answer most of it, but I always run my media players in Sandboxie and I know of no reason not to. It is trouble free.

3. bgoodman4

I decided to roll back my PC to the point before I installed this program, not that I was having any problems with it but for the following reasons.

1: no one here had anything to say regarding the possibility of malware being transfered to my, or others computers.

2: I noticed that there were a number of videos that seemed to be available as part of the program. These could be found in the bottom 1/2 of the program interface. A lot of these appeared to be videos detailing how to hack programs etc. This bothered me so I decided to uninstall it.

3: this is a program I would not use very often. I downloaded it because it was offered for free and I thought it might come in handy from time to time.

Given the combination of the 3 points above I felt that not having the program on my PC was preferable to having it. Had reason 1 & 2 not been a factor I would have left it installed.

Was this reasonable?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  4. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

Hi bgoodman4.

I always use Vdownloader when downloading video from YouTube and other supported sources. Vdownloader is free and portable (which I like) and available here. There are newer versions of Vdownloader, but they are not as portable-friendly and Nod32 didn't like some of the more recent ones.

With Vdownloader, I can convert flv files to mpeg or avi for burning to DVD's later on with other programs.

Regarding your security question (whether malware could be embedded in the video when being recorded or downloaded), I don't know the answer. But, I have Sandboxie and so I sandbox Vdownloader when using it (similar to chinook9) and oftentimes I will upload the sandboxed video file to VirusTotal for inspection before recovering the file onto my real system. I've done this lots of times and never had any malware detected by VirusTotal.

5. CustomHVAC

CustomHVAC Registered Member

6. bgoodman4

Thanks guys, I will give both programs a try.

Doodler, your comments about the security issue are appreciated and I will follow your example of uploading to test as well as test with the tools at my disposal (MalwareBytes and Trend Micro). Good to hear you have not had any problems to date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.