To Write or Not to Write

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by driekus, Jan 24, 2015.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

If you have sufficient available time, of course you should write what you have to say if you believe it is valuable information to someone.

BTW: I hope your business does not require a lot of air-travel :)

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I feel like that sometimes :) But I know that any problems will come back to me. So I just setup automatic backups.
    Sure. But if it's a file server in your LAN, why do we call it "cloud"?

3. driekus

driekus Registered Member

Yup works great on a VPN and did it until several months ago.

4. 142395

142395 Guest

No, even in that case using cloud makes much sense IF your data is truly precious or irreplaceable. Once you and your house, rather, your whole region is hit by e.g. earthquake, flood, tornado or whatever, you may loose all your data regardless of how many local backups you had made, possibly even when some data was stored in your phone, office (not good practice tho), or any place which can also be affected wide area disaster.
    Is it extreme? I don't think so, at least in my region it's more likely than I got infected by 0day exploit or I was somehow targeted by government agencies or police.
    A solution is backup to cloud, of course you have to choose server which is distant from your region, and I recommend locally encrypt all data even when the provider offer local encryption without holding your key (and if you use Truecrypt, backup the header to other secure place with other encryption method like file encrypter).

5. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

I've never felt comfortable backing up to the cloud, even when I hold the keys. They can withold your service or data. They can take copies and observe the history of encrypted data. I trust physical off-site backup rather more. It's true that's vulnerable to various disasters, but then I feel I'll have many other woes than inability to access my data!

6. 142395

142395 Guest

That's true even when they claim 0 knowledge, but priority varies on each individual. Foe me data loss is more as much serious than as data leak, as I never save, say, bank credentials or such in electric devices but have many precious photos, writings, etc. which I don't think much interesting for anyone. [EDIT: I forgot that I actually have some credentials. They are one more encrypted by file encryption program.]

BTW, a number of versions of encrypted data can help adversary to perform differential attack. Also if you encrypted the (partly) same data with different key (e.g. you used up current container space so made new container and moved data), it can help chosen-plain text attack. Tho usually such attack needs thousands of different versions, it might be the case if you don't (possibly can't, as there's no guarantee that your erase is respected) erase old versions and backup daily or even hourly bases.
    [EDIT2: Those attack are impossible as they don't know original plain text. OMG, I have to wash my brain.]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.