To upgrade Outpost or not?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by optigrab, Oct 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I let me OP subscription lapse over the summer, figuring: I was reasonably happy with v2.1, I now also employ a NAT firewall/router, and there was no certainty that any major upgrades would be released within the year anyway (oops).

So, should I renew? With the NAT firewall router (Netgear wgr614), would I realize any security benefit in going from OPv2.1 to OPv2.5?

I'm not referring to all the plug-in fixes (nice as they are).

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi optigrab, I have updated, there are many reasons to do so, I am also behind a router but that does nothing to protect you from outgoing malware should you be unfortunate enough to pick up something.

Check out GK Web's site here for a lot more information about why you should update, it includes information about the latest version of Outpost etc.:
    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/software.htm

Cheers. Pilli

4. optigrab

Thanks for the replies!

@Paranoid2K: I perused the 'what to expect' thread and will consider it carefully. The improvements are enticing - particularly the ad blocking/content filtering improvements. Mulling, mulling.... :doubt:

@Pilli: I certainly realize that a NAT/Router doesn't protect against ‘internal intrusions' (i.e. malware) trying to get out. But I am unclear as to how v2.5 is more secure (not just more convenient or feature-rich) in this regard than v2.1. I couldn't find much regarding v2.1 vs. v2.5 on GKWeb's site, except of course for the updated leaktest ratings. While I am pleased to see the OPv2.5 does very well, aren't leaktests ‘external intrusions'? Isn't my my NAT/Router the primary defence against leaktests? I am honestly unsure of this point.

Gratefully,
    Optigrab

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Leaktests are applications you run on your own PC which attempt to bypass any firewall using various techniques to gain Internet access. They are important in showing how well a firewall can detect (and prevent) malware from gaining network access - a router can offer no protection in this regard since it cannot see what applications are actually sending data.

Security-wise, Outpost 2.5's leaktest performance and its check on incoming localhost connections to proxies (it is the first firewall that does this to the best of my knowledge - if anyone knows of others please post!) are the greatest improvements. However, there are plenty of others too and, in my view, it offers far more over 2.1 than 2.1 did over 2.0.

FYI, licence renewals should receive a 50% discount regardless of whether your licence has lapsed or not.

6. optigrab

Paranoid2K,

Thanks a million for the informative post! The leaktest and incoming localhost performance info is a great selling point, now that I understand it better. Idid not know about the renewal discount either, and that's a big plus in my book.

Cheers,
    Optigrab

7. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I just thought I would say that I have upgraded to outpost pro 2.5 and It is running very well so far without any problems at all. :)
    I was a bit worried about installing this upgrade as version 2.1 was running so great on my xp pro system, but I am glad I made the leap and this is a very much improved and excellent firewall indeed.

Your friend

THE MUL :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.