To settle this "raging" controversy....

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Trespasser, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Hello there.
    I have a young relative who works at our local university in the computer department tending their linux network. He's continually trying to correct me in the pronunciation of Ubuntu when we "try" to discuss computers. He pronounces it "you-bun (as in hamburger)-two. Well, Josh, if you ever happen to read this (you big weenie), once again, it's correctly pronounced "oo-boon (as in Daniel Boone)-too...as stated at Ubuntu's FAQs...

http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/faq

Silly, I know, but I just had to post this. ;).

How many of you have been mispronouncing it?

Later...

2. culla

culla Registered Member

almost everyone and who cares :rolleyes:

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Probably just people who can only speak English, or use it as their first language.

4. cortez

cortez Registered Member

Mispronouncing foreign names and words is a national pastime :D .

Even professors routinely mispronounce them.

When in Rome....

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Obviously your friend has never heard Africans speak in their own language. If he had, he would know that not everyone in the world pronounces the alphabet like Americans. Actually the africans are quite sharp and clear with their sounds. The american ones are often too elaborated compared to the african ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftjdDOfTzbk&feature=related

Tell your friend to watch the Shaka Zulu tv miniseries. It will give him a non traumatic approach to african sounds, since it's filmed in english. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZkSju6VElw&feature=related

He will hear some "weird" "u" out there, that's for sure. :D Their "a" is also very clean.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  6. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Not to mention us Finns. Our language is pronounced as it's written. Ubuntu is simply pronounced as 'U-bun-tu' by the locals here, no you's no a's no two's etc. :D

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I must admit that at first glance I would have pronounced it as you-bun-two as well.

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

english is my native language but ive always said it as u say is correct :D.

9. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I came in here to see the raging controversy. Where is it?

10. Trespasser

I stand guilty of over-hyping the thread title. OK? I blame it on television. :).

Later...

11. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

When I say OO-boon-Too sounds like I trying to put on a fake Queens-English posh accent.

I will stick my U-bun-too, matches my Yorkshire accent better.

12. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

U-bun-too, you-bun-two, U-bun-tu all get by in my part of the world.

I think the name should be changed to something everyone can pronounce correctly. Ubrown2 :)

13. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

I pronounce Paris as par iss and not par ee because I speak English and not French. Same goes for you bun two. I don't speak Swahili either.

14. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

As a South African, I think I can help.

The word Ubuntu has its origins in the Bantu languages of Southern Africa of which for instance Zulu, Xhosa and the other 7 Bantu based languages spoken
    here are part of.
    Ubuntu means 'a person is a person through a person'. We all know that here.

It has nothing to do with Swahili at all. :D

Pronounced ' OO-BOON-TWO ' ... Some of you have got that right :)

Hope it's all clear now. :argh:

15. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

I don't speak Bantu either. I'll still pronounce it you bun two. And I don't really care what the word means in Bantu.

16. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I don't speak 'Bantu' either; firstly because it's a collective term for certain languages in these parts, and secondly because my home language is a mixture of English and German.
    I don't care who cares what Ubuntu means or how it is pronounced.
    Obviously my smidgeon of background info. is totally superfluous.

17. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Not at all. For me it was an interesting piece of trivia, and if you ask me I'd also say it's a safe bet that the majority of the Wilders population aren't so close-minded and dismissive of other cultures/languages.

18. Trespasser

Same here. I found Ocky's post very interesting.

BTW, I'm a bit surprised by the attitude displayed by a few of the responders. You can continue to pronounce Ubuntu whichever way you wish. My intent was to say "Hey! This is the correct way to pronounce it!" firstly to my relative, Josh (yes....my own special way of venting), and to whomever might find it interesting. I'm sure Josh will continue to pronounce Ubuntu "you-bun-two" even after learning the truth since he's just "that" way (an "I say black he says white" type of person). Such is life, I guess.

19. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

But that is the point. It isn't the correct way to pronounce it if you are speaking English. The accepted English pronunciation is u bun tu. I know how Mexicans pronounce Mexico and how the French pronounce Paris. But I don't use those pronunciations because I speak English.

To me, it would be disrespectful and pretentious to mimic another culture's pronunciation. Not the other way around.

20. Trespasser

Well, I'm convinced. you-bun-two it is since I speak English solely as well. Thanks for your train of logic. :).

No, seriously. I'm sure there are many words I mispronounce on a daily basis (linux for example...I pronounce it "line-ex" while Josh pronounces it "lynn-ex"), but since Ubuntu is by far my favorite distro I decided something like four years ago to find out what was the correct pronunciation. I choose to pronounce it correctly...not how it appears to be pronounced. But, it's your option to speak it whichever way you please.

Have a good one, everybody.

Later...

21. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

You chose to pronounce it correctly? And just what "authority" did you use to determine what was correct? THE authority on the English language, the Oxford English Dictionary, doesn't list the word. So the only legitimate "authority" would be what is the most common or accepted pronunciation.

In fact, I've tried several dictionaries and NONE of them list the word. Even the wkipedia doesn't attempt to give the pronunciation. So, what did you use to determine "the correct pronunciation?"

In fact, I challenge anyone if this forum to cite a legitimate, verifiable authority to back up the contention that oo boon tu is the "correct' pronunciation.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  22. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Right where one would expect.. mentioned in the first post.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/faq

23. Seer

Seer Registered Member

A Zulu dictionary perhaps? -

zulu281009.png

24. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

25. phaedrus

phaedrus Registered Member

OK. Can I ask a question...
    What is (currently) the "correct" way for an English speaking person to pronounce "Mexico", "Paris", "Ubuntu", and "Linux" ?

I say currently because language and pronunciation are transitory. It changes over time, so there is no absolute "correct".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.