To scan your AV in Safe Mode ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Perman, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I was told by security-oriented friend to scan virus in SAFE MODE. I am not used to this approach, and like to ask our knowledgeable folks to advise me these: (1) any advantage doing this ? (2) is this necessary ? (3) Do all AV apps support this procedure? (4) Is detection/removal ability been compromised? Just anxious to know. Thanks.

2. DaveD

DaveD Guest

You can scan in Windows as you normally would. However, for "cleaning" infections it is recommended to do in Safe Mode.

In Safe Mode, the viruses aren't running as they normally would be and less likely to protect themselves. Cleaning infections in Safe Mode will result in a more thorough clean and less headaches.

3. btman

btman Registered Member

1. Read the post above.

2. For cleaning more deadly viruses yes.

3. No, bitdefender 9 I could not start up in safe mode at all (prolly the same for BD 10), most or some (not sure) will not load their protection modules in safe mode but will allow you to update and scan like Kaspersky.

4. Uhh read post above? I think it may answer that lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.