to not copy over bad sectors

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jjbtnc, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjbtnc

jjbtnc Registered Member

sorry if this is a repost i've done searches and found loads of posts about copying over bad sectors and how a workaround is to use imaging and not disk cloning, then use the partition resize.

I just wanted to get it clear in my head exactly how this is accomplished as the posts i've seen say to use this but not how explicitly or what to expect during the restore steps. Say i have an 80gb drive with 1 partition and with 30gb of data on it. I would make an image of this partition. Then i can format the drive, try some utils to check if these bad sectors are hardware or software (they appeared about a year ago around a time when win crashed a few times, and no more since then) and if the y can be recovered. Then i go through the restore process and at some point i will come to a resize partition window.

Changing the partition size here will cause TI to dump the bad sectors?

And it doesn't matter how much i change it - could be down to 78gb or down to 40gb - any change will make TI dump the bad sector info?

Say i resize to 70gb, when i boot in to windows i will then see 1 partition of 70gb and 10gb of unallocated space.
    I can then either make a new partition with the unallocated space, use the TI workaround to merge it back in to one partition, or use a 3rd party util to merge them in to one?

Just one thing - when doing the restore that includes the resizing element does it make any difference if i restore the mbr or not?

The mbr in the image comes from when there was 1 80gb partition so wouldn't restoring that when you are also trying to resize the partition mess things up?

i.e you resize the part to 70 gb but the mbr thinks there's an 80gb partition?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Supposedly any change will do the trick. I think that by changing the partition size parameter it makes Windows dump its record of bad sectors because the partition structure has been changed.

The MBR doesn't care what size the partition is. If only needs to know which partition contains the OS it is supposed to start.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello jjbtnc,

For instructions on how to resize your partition(s) during a True Image restore, check out the relevant link in the forum sticky titled <Acronis True Image - Product Links, FAQs & Interesting Forum Threads> under the sub-heading "Wilders Security threads on common True Image problems and solutions" > "Resizing Restored Partitions".

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.