to Moderators: Acronis vs shadowcraft

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by stinkingbob, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinkingbob

stinkingbob Registered Member

Hi all, Shadowcraft is similar to Acronis as a backup storage solution. The only difference is that Shadowcraft allows the possibility of transferring the image onto another computer other than what the image was made from. So for example, I could backup my laptop with XP and then transfer that image onto the hardrive of a Sony laptop with vista and it would work! It does say that you would have to download the drivers et all, but that the desktop would boot up. Now, my question is this: will future versions of Acronis allow this feature for home users? Because if not, I may switch over to shadowcraft.
    THanks for any info

2. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

universal restore plugin for acronis does this

3. stinkingbob

stinkingbob Registered Member

Is universal restore plugin available for Acronis true image 11??

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I think Bob want to avoid having to buy the Workstation version of True Image in order to use UR.

But, stinkingBob, try this, it worked for me:
    Before making your Image, change the display adapter to Standard VGA. Now make the Image. When you restore this Image, the system should boot to the desktop and will then go through a whole slew of "Found New Hardware" gyrations. After it is done, check in Device Manager to see which drivers need to be installed. The Display Adapter will be one.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello stinkingbob,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Acronis solution for transferring of a system to different hardware is Acronis Universal Restore. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and mass storage device drivers.

Acronis Universal Restore is a plug-in for corporate versions of Acronis True Image and in your case we may recommend that you use Acronis True Image Echo Workstation.

Acronis Universal Restore is used with image archives and you can find basic instructions on how to use it here. Detailed instructions can be found in the Acronis True Image Echo Workstation User's Guide.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image Echo Workstation to see how the software works on your computer. With the trial version of the product you will be able to fully use the Windows version for 15 days. The bootable rescue media will be limited to restore function.

Please also be aware that the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore is not available on Acronis web site. In order to obtain the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore please contact Acronis Support Team. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore and provide your personal information (full name; phone number along with the area code; company name, if any) along with the link to this thread. We'll provide you with the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.