To Buy Or Not To Buy

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by twister, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twister

twister Registered Member

Well, after reading everyone's problems with TI8 installation, imaging, restoring, and lack of support, I've decided to stay clear of this program.
    Good luck to everyone using this software and I hope you don't lose any sleep at night wondering if TI8 will work when you need it most.

2. jayeskay

jayeskay Registered Member

I have been considering TI8 through using the trial version, and trying as many scenerios as possible - also trying some of the problems people have encountered to see if I have the same issues.

The Acronis support has improved dramatically, and I hope that it will continue. It needs to stay ahead of the competition, and this is the way to do it.

I have reported three problems within this forum. the first was answered within the forum, the second was referred to Acronis Support and they have sent me a couple of e-mails asking for info, and the third has been completely ignored!

Some of the problems described in this forum I have tried, and the product has worked successfully.

I have tried full backups, incrementals, to same PC, to another PC on my network, to DVD+RW to CD-RW
    I've tested restores from CD and DVD to a non-networked laptop - totally successful, and restores to networked PCs - no problems.

I have not been able to restore system partitions, and via the boot disks, but that is part of the restriction. Unfortunately the system restore is my main concern.

All in all, I'm leaning towards TI8 - do they give discounts?

3. Unfortunately, their only discounts are in support and compatability.

4. johnpd

johnpd Registered Member

twister,

I was reluctant like you to try True Image after reading the posts here. But I could see no good alternative currently so I finally gave in and bought and installed it. It ran fine for me. I also agree that the support from Acronis has improved dramatically since I first started browsing this forum. Hopefully Acronis will solve all the existing issues.

5. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

It amazes me that people have to look to others for the purpose of making a decision about something.

Coming to a forum like this is like going to a hospital in search of healthy people......... these forums attract people with issues and you would have to know the total number of units sold verses the complaints here to form any worthwhile basis for making the statement you have, I for one have had no problems with ATI and only yesterday restored a full partition.

6. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Likewise, I have had no problem and use this program all the time.

7. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

TI 8 continues to work fine for me. In fact, it works better than either vers. 7 or 6, both of which I also own.

Regards,
    Jim

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Apart from a couple of "nuisance" type error messages (which Acronis say will be suppressed in a future build), TI 8 Build 774 works a treat for me to. IMHO this is the most compatible build to date.

9. jazmaan

jazmaan Registered Member

Count me in as another satisfied customer. What other choice is there anyway? Norton Ghost 9? Good luck finding a support forum for that! :p

I specifically chose Acronis because they DO have a support forum and support staff DOES visit the forum regularly. And they DO post updates from time to time. (At least two updates in the last three months.)

One year ago there wasn't ANY software that would image your boot partition to an external firewire drive. Now you've got two choices. You want to make the other choice, go ahead. Come back in 6 months and tell us how its going.

10. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Amazing point of view....

I can not agree your statement, that software which is sold so many times can be trusted and placed in the catagory "good and reliable".

And it is normal, that people look what others are doing and ask their opinion before they make a decision to buy software, especially when it concerns very important (imaging) software.
    This is one of the reasons (Wilders) Security forums is visited so many times by so many people.

Don't misunderstand me, this is not an attack against Acronis.

I know they are doing everything to improve their software, and that's IMO very positive.

Ciao,

Smokey

11. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

I agree! The latest build 774 seems to be the best build yet. My imaging is pretty simple. I image from one hard drive, and store on another. Acronis fixed the few annoyances I had with previous TI 8 builds, with the latest 774 build.

Thanks Acronis

Tipton

12. sded

sded Registered Member

TI 6, 7, 8 have all worked fine for me on various computers. Sometimes a few workarounds for a while, but sure better than the alternatives. :D

13. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

I made no statement nor did I use the words 'good and reliable', I made a comment about the nature of human beings, if you are going to quote me please get it right. :(

14. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I spend you a cold beer to calm down...:)

BTW. Before you are buying a new car, I'm sure first at all you will inform you about that car and look to other ones before you make a decision.
    And I may assume too that you are asking other people about their experiences with that specific car, or are you trusting blind the salesman from that car?;)

Resume: you are, like we all, a human being with pro's and con's...:rolleyes:

Ciao,

Smokey

15. Steve1947

Steve1947 Registered Member

If you are willing to commit your time I am sure you can have success with the True Image product. I have researched most of the mainstream image backup products and they all have their own unique problems. The fact of the matter is that creating a full image in a Windows environment is not an easy task. These products are heavily dependent on internal OS code that is not used in a run of the mill accounting or payroll package.

16. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Registered Member

I'm a new user of TrueImage 8.0 build 774. I've backed up a triple boot WinXP Pro system drive, restored it to a new hard drive, and tested that drive in place of the original system drive. Works perfectly from all 3 boot partitions. I like this product. It is clean without a lot of fluff as hardware hackers like their programs to be. It does not require online activation which to me, for a backup program at critical times, is a MUST. So far I have no problems recommending this product.

Edit 11/2/04: I thought the purchased download said build 774 but I just checked the HELP > ABOUT and it says build 764. Someone mentioned that the purchased download was not the latest and another download is necessary to get the latest build. Apparently he is correct. He said he does not know why it is set up this way and I don't either.

Skyhawk

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  17. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

twister why did you even post?

you dont like it then dont buy it

but it seems to work perty good for the rest of us as for tech support they show up here i seen lots of people get help

you sure you posted in the right place?

18. PatG

PatG Registered Member

IMO, twisters post was a total waste of space. Other than that, I have been using TI since ver 1.0. As ver 7.0 fits my needs, there is no reason for me to buy version 8. Another happy camper! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.