TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 30,40,50, 60 AND 70'S

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by musicman, Feb 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicman

musicman Registered Member

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank whiile they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles,doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we trook hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no set belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends,from one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes,white brad and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were OK.

We would spend hours building our go carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations,Nintendo's X boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms......WE HAND FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!!

We fell out of trtees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there wer no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We wer given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friends house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled form them !

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we brok the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!!

This genration has producted some of the best risk takers, problem solvers and inventors ever !

This past 50 years have been an expolsion of innovation and new ideas.

WE HAD FREEDOM, FAILURE, SUCCESS AND RESPONSIBILTIY AND WE LEARED HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!!

2. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

That makes us True Survivors...doesn't it ?! :'(

3. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

That either makes us Survivors or it could explain our presence hanging around 10-F all the time with nothing better to do like people you hear about who really need to get a life. :doubt:

4. big ed

big ed Registered Member

As our neighborhood streets were never plowed in Winter one of my favorites was to wait for a car to go by, run out and grab onto the rear bumper and slide along on your feet. It was a great way to travel for at least a couple of Blocks. Yea...occasionally we lost a kid or two if the car stopped too fast but we usually found them after the Spring thaw!

Living in the fast lane, Sleddin ed

5. ~*Nat*~

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. beetlejuice

Well I've heard that it has been said (no names please, well at least that's what the voices in my head say) that the people who hang around 10-F most of the time must have something wrong with them. Obviously, for lack of better reasoning, the afore mentioned story would tend to explain alot. :blink: o_O

8. ~*Nat*~

9. beetlejuice

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Personally I am proud of the following things that transpired when I was a child, all of the detrimental effects have hardended us to adversity and has created the most productive and long lived generation this world has ever seen. Lets bring it all back and get the world back on track.

11. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Just so long as we can leave the worms and mud pies in the past...., that's one I shoudl have done without :) Arggghhhhh

Blue

12. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

~sigh~

The social disfunction of the generation to come....

It doesn't come natural. It has to be learned.

snowbound

13. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:rolleyes: I guess I was lucky, I grew up in a condition where everybody knew each other, and we didn't have just one mom watching what we did but the whole dang neighbor hood. Now I couldn't tell you the name of my next door neighbor if my life depended upon it. It used to be OK if a individual tried to interact with a child, now they suspect you of being a pedophile. If a child used a four letter word, they were in for a very rough time from mom or dad, now they use the F word and no one bats an eye. Schools used to teach you something, now individuals graduate from high school and are unable to read or write. This my friends to me is a very sad sate of affairs.

Thanks
    Wildman
    o_O :blink:

14. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Amen Wildguy,

I grew up in a pretty tough neighborhood and what you stated was pretty much the same for me. We also had Cops who walked their Beat and if you mildly messed up you got a boot in the rear and a warning that you took seriously.

Play on, big ed

15. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Do you think the fact that I ate most of the lead paint off my crib is responsible for making me the person I'am to-day?.....

I can remember my dear old Dad teaching me to swim...once I got out of the sack it was a breeze....

During WW2 my parents had me evacuated to where the bombing was, memories are made of this...

Cochise,:cool: Reminiscing in Rimini......

16. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Right on Wildman!
    Hey Musicman,
    :D Now I can finally relax I know what is wrong with me and it is not my fault but Moms. :D :D ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.